Great music, good fishing go together in Costa

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Great music, good fishing go together in Costa Rica

By Ed Zieralski, SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

March 9, 2003

On most fishing trips, when a fellow angler pulls out a guitar it's usually a good idea to remember that the fish need cleaning or some other chore needs to be done.

Fishing camp serenades usually don't quite cut it.

But that wasn't the case for the group that fished with Scott Cannon of Rancho Peñasquitos and other anglers recently in the inaugural Taj Mahal Fishing Blues Tournament at Roy's Zancudo Lodge in Playa Zancudo, Costa Rica.

Cannon, you see, fished with the likes of guitarists Taj Mahal, Dickie Betts and Jimmy Herring and Derek Trucks of the Derek Trucks Band in a tournament that benefited the Music Maker Relief Foundation.

Cannon said the guitarists fished hard all day and played their guitars well into the night at impromptu jam sessions, all to raise money for the foundation, which helps many needy musicians with money, food, clothing, shelter and medical care.

"What a privilege it was," Cannon said. "We'd get back from fishing, eat, and then they'd get out their guitars and play. I just sat there listening to them talk about their music, play and watch them interact with each other. What a thrill."

Cannon said all of the guitarists are avid anglers and caught fish.

"We came in off the full moon, so fishing for sailfish could have been better," Cannon said. "But the inshore fishing for roosterfish, snappers, jacks and other fish was phenomenal."

Taj Mahal initiated the Costa Rica destination based on his past fishing experiences there.

"For over 30 years I have been deep-sea fishing all over the world, but Zancudo has been my greatest experience so far," he said.

Cannon said the lodge was in a terrific setting. He landed in San Jose, Costa Rica, and caught a smaller plane to Golfito. He said that 45-minute flight was over some of the most incredible country he's ever seen from a plane. After landing in Golfito, he boarded a boat to Roy's Zancudo Lodge.

The trip ended with an awards banquet and private concert featuring Taj Mahal and the other musicians, followed by a beach party the next day that included a roasted pig and drinks at the private oceanfront residence of Music Maker Relief Foundation board member Bill Lucado.

"I found out these guys fish every chance they get," Cannon said. "The Music Foundation does a lot for poor, needy musicians. Great people, great time and great accommodations and fishing."

Top Bottom