Great quail hunt Friday

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Hi all.  Well, I went out to the high desert on Friday and had a great quail hunt.  I ended up with 8 birds after about 40 minutes of leisurely hunting, selecting my shots as I went along.

You are probably wondering what the downside to this could be, well here goes.  I am hoping that people realize when there is a waterhole out in the desert, it is there for one purpose, to allow wildlife access to water where there is normally none.  I NEVER hunt within 100 yards of a waterhole, this allows the wildlife to stick to a routine and have undisturbed access to their most needed resource.  (I went back today and someone in a blue car parked about 10 feet away and spent the next hour hunting in a large circle right around the waterhole)  Same goes for camping next to a waterhole.  I never do it.  Alot of animals are nocturnal and a campsite right next to the waterhole deters them from making their normal visits.  Lastly, anywhere you happen to be, please pickup your trash.  I was very disheartened to find beer bottles, dirty diapers, shotgun shells, cans and handgun brass scattered within 30 FEET of the waterhole in that area.

I'm hoping that maybe people will see this and realize that by giving the animals some space around waterholes, this will allow them to continue to visit the area.

Thanks,

Eric A. Mayer  

Kentuck

Reaction score
It should be noted that it is illegal to camp within 100 yards of a water hole. I'm not sure about hunting though. I agree though don't pressure the immediate area for abvious reasons.

FRANK M

Reaction score
ERIC, WHAT AREA IN THE HIGH DESERT DID YOU HUNT AT. IT LOOKS LIKE JAWBONE CYN.

Top Bottom