Great Scouting trip

BDB

Reaction score
Well, with less than 2 weeks until A20, I am pretty stoked. Backcountry, In2blacktail and I spent the weekend scouting a new spot in X12 for the A20 hunt. We had an amazing trip and learned a ton.

In 2 days of scouting and glassing (Sat AM/PM and Sun AM) we saw 30 legal bucks and about 15-20 does and fawns. Of those 30 around 10 were 4*4's. We hiked some nasty terrain and found deer beds in places that I never would have believed. Truely amazing animals. We had a bachelor group of 9 bucks that we watched for quite some time. There were 7.5 miles back and 2500 feet above the nearest trailhead or vehicle access. The pictures are not the best, but considering we were at least a mile from these bucks and the pics were taken with my camera on 3X zoom AND through a 30X spotting scope they turned out pretty good. These pics were taken at 5:30pm.

Needless to say, we found where we will be on opening morning, but it is going to be pretty darn tough if we put an animal down

7 of the 9 in the group (two were lower, out of FOV)

We watched 6 of the bucks come out of one little clump of trees. The last one in line is just leaving the clump they bedded in.

Here is a close up of a couple of the 4 pointers.

Jake

Reaction score
BDB,

Looks like a very successful scouting trip. Great pics considering the distance. Good luck on your hunt!!!

Mike

Backcountry

Reaction score
...and don't anybody ask for the coordinates... we've made a gentleman's agreement between the three of us and a couple other buddies that know where we were going. We earned this honey hole through hard work, pouring over maps & air photos, old threads in the JHO archives, and a lot of physical exertion over many 10's of miles and not a small amount of our own blood shed on the trail and in the willows to get to the precarious vantage point from which these photos were taken. A true "buck Shangri-la", and a place that will be ruined with even the tiniest amount of pressure.

I will say though that based on three high country scouting trips, if you hike 10 miles and climb several thousand feet to the highest vantage point over 11,000', you will see bucks along the sierra crest, no matter where you are... they are out there, you just have to work damn hard to get to them. Do the work, and you'll find your own buck Shangri-la. That is exactly why we've been sharing some stories and pictures from our scouting trips... to encourage and motivate the rest of you with the time and energy to put together your own do-it-yourself hunt on public land (just like in the Eastmans journals).

We've done all that we could possibly do pre-season to better our odds at sucess, but this is definately not in the bag. Even more hard work, with heavier packs, longer days, and a king-size portion of good luck is going to be necessary if we can get within 50 yards of any of these bucks. If we want 25 yards (I do!), we'll need divine intervention too! I can't speak for BDB or in2blacktail, but considering that this is my first premium zone hunt, even if I don't harvest a buck, my 2004 season has already been a sucess.

Yep, a good scouting trip and I'm fortunate to have hunting partners I can count on (and get along with!).

Thanks also to BOWUNTR for your encouragement and tips. We hope we'll do you proud!

Rookies

Reaction score
Wow... That must of been an awesome adventure. Can I come along next time, and learn a few tricks
. Good going guys and thanks for sharing the pictures you brought back. This will sure get me motivated to do some scouting on my own. Congradulations on your honey hole.

in2blacktail

Reaction score
It was a great trip gentlemen.. Well the term almost applies..
"What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I'm fortunate to have hunting partners I can count on (and get along with!).[/b]
I couldn't agree more.
It is really tough finding the right hunting partners that encourage, challenge, and enspire you. Guys with similar interests and goals. I know with the dedication we are exerting, success should be obtainable..

Great camera work BDB!!

Backcountry

Reaction score
Originally posted by in2blacktail@Aug 9 2004, 11:32 AM
"What happens on the mountain stays on the mountain."
I had nothing to do with any of the foul smells coming from our camp.

I know with the dedication we are exerting, success should be obtainable.[/b]
Well, you're more confident than me. The season doesn't open for 12 days and I'm having nightmares about forgeting my front sight. Note to self... must calm down; take anti-buck-fever pills (anybody have some of those?).

It is really tough finding the right hunting partners that encourage, challenge, and enspire you.[/b]
...and guys dumb enough to risk a nasty fall scrambling around on 60 degree scree slopes where if you fall, at best you'll be thinking "oh, this is gonna leave a mark" on the way down. Note to self... have group talk about safety and first aid, and let someone less bold
(dumb?) lead the way. I'm not leading us back up that route again... too risky.

Backcountry

Cahunter

Reaction score
there looks to be a couple of real shooters in there. II hope you can get close enough to stick one with an arrow, looks like some wide open country, good luck.

Norcalihunter

Reaction score
Sounds like you guys are in for a hunt of a lifetime.

Good luck guys!!!!

Jake

Reaction score
Sounds like it will be a great trip regardless of the end result. Hopefully you will be posting a pic with matching numbers of bucks and hunters.

Good Luck to all of you, I hope you have a great time!

Mike

MEF

Reaction score
Good luck you guys! Do they make ghillie suits that look like rocks? You might need 'em to get close or do they make ackley improved broadheads?!
Anyway, great pics of great bucks! Mike

Backcountry

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cahunter@Aug 9 2004, 11:48 AM
...looks like some wide open country...
Understatement of the year. I've got that old WHO song running through my head... "I can see for miles and miles". Even with a 7mm mag. it wouldn't be a lock. What we really need are arrows that can fly a mile with airburst capabilty and a MIRV (multiple-independant-rentry-broadhead) warhead... does Cabelas sell those?

...but thanks for your words of encouragement, everybody.

Backcountry

COHunter

Reaction score
Yep.......I'd say you found yourself a nice little Honey Hole

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
WOW!
That's just awesome! Congratulations to all of you...you put in the work and deserve a big payoff. Best of luck sticking a couple of those boys! Sure gets the juices going.
Thanks for sharing.

WinMag1

Reaction score
Guys, Congratulations on a successful scouting trip

Unfortunately for me
timing couldn't be worse this year. What the *%&@ was I thinking when I let them scheduel my back surgery this week with an expected down time of 4-8 months

May the Gods smile upon your hunt and your tags runneth full, assuring another year of Venison Stew on the stove and Backstrap on the grill. Good Luck!!!
Steve

blazintowers

Reaction score
Congrats to all of you.....Sounds like a great time....awesome pics too considering the distance....Good luck on your hunt too!!!!!
Blazin

YORT40

Reaction score
I've got to be honest here, you guys have guts! I spent last weekend in Rock Creek Pass, scouting/fishing. While I was glassing the slopes & thinking of filling a tag, three things came to mind; quad, horse or mule, flare for help.
But you are correct, if a hunter wants it bad enough, they will be rewarded through hard work. Good luck, gentlemen.

BuckFinder

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the photos. You three look you have found a very active area. I'm not sure how you plan on sneaking these deer, but with three of you, you may want to pattern them. Find out where they are bedding, eating, etc and then use your numbers to intercept them?? I wish you all the best of luck. I'll be there for a week but not until the 27th. I sure hope the odds of drawing a A20 don't get worse after the world seeing those phenominal pics. Good luck to all three of you.

fishboat1

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I will be looking forward to the pictures after the hunt when you have them tagged and hanging. Hard work does pay off .Good Luck.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip. good luck sleeping for the next two weeks!

Top Bottom