Great Season

Sully Jr.

Reaction score
Well, I had a great spring turkey season this year.
I'm only 21 years old, have never hunted turkeys before and decided that this year I would try my luck. I was hunting BLM, and just happened to find a few roosts earlier this year scouting. I have been out there for the past 5 weekends, saw a lot of birds, and I actually called in 5 toms this morning within 30 yards. This is the second time I have had birds this close and the second time where there has been no shot.

I was pretty discouraged this morning, but then I thought about all the positive things that happened during this season.
Found a new hunting buddy
Learned a ton about turkeys
got to spend 5 weekends away from school and all the BS around my town (Chico).
And I did it all with just one buddy that has never hunted turkeys either. We didn't have any help from any veteran turkey chasers at all.
I didn't get a bird, but Im just happy to be able to hunt and enjoy the woods. With all of the positives, I'd have to say that I did well, especially considering I grew up in Orange County! LOL.
I guess its time to start fishin. And I'm already dreaming about hearing that first Tom sound off as the sun is coming up.

Just excited about it. and thought I would share it.

Brad

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Pretty work, Brad! Sounds like you got the important part down... enjoying the experience. And if you called birds into 30 yards, then I don't know how much else anyone could ask for! That's killin' range for shotgun hunters, and danged close to killin' range for most archery hunters too.

Well done!

buckspotter

Reaction score
Awesome attitude! Those close calls are so exciting, especially when you are first starting to turkey hunt. It sounds like you are off to a good start. You have probably already learned so much, just keep at it. There is still two days left in the regular season. I started turkey hunting in CA in 1985, before you were born. I didn't kill one for almost ten years. It won't take you that long. Good luck and keep having fun!

radioleo

Reaction score
Yo Sully Jr.

I hunt 9 days until I harvested my first bird nothing in 2007 finally score in 2008.

If you called them within 30 yards that is a DEAD turkey. By your story you have actually had a successful season. You passed Turkey 101 on your own SELF TAUGHT !!!! Cheers

2009 Spring season you will harvest your first bird.

If there are just two things I can recommend they would be:

1. A Full XX or XXX Turkey Choke

2. Winchester Supreme Elite XTended Range Hi Density Turkey Loads 3 inch # 5
Comp-N-Choke choke company tests their turkey XXX full turkey chokes with the Winchester Supreme Elite XTended Range Hi Density Turkey Loads 3 inch # 5 @ 50 yards.....DEAD TURKEY !!

radioleo

RR1

Reaction score
Good writeup Sully. With your attitude there will be a lot of great seasons.

BrandonA

Reaction score
Good write up bud, but you still have tommorrow if you wanted to close the deal on a tom or jake!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom