Great Week-end of Turkey Hunting

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Saturday I took a couple of the kids I hunt with (Tanner & Josh). The morning started out promising with lots of gobbles, but after a shot on a nearby property that was it. No more gobbles and no turkeys (1 hen). At the 11:00 AM, we decide to have lunch in Julian. We get back at about 12:00, and decide to walk up the mountain to see if there were any lonesome gobblers cruisin' around. After some aggressive calling (Primos Freak), I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I'm above the kids and expecting the birds to come from below. As the 4 toms go pass me, I see that Tanner has spotted them. When they both get their guns up, and find a bird. They go on three and two birds hit the deck. The boys 1st double. Very exciting.....17lbs, 9" beard, 3/4" spurs & 17lbs, 9 1/2" beard, 3/4 spurs, respectively.

Today (Sunday) I hunted with a friend (Eddie) who had just joined MCC. Not knowing the property, he had me pick a spot. It just happened to be where I shot my 2nd bird, so I knew the lay of the land pretty well (and their roost trees). After sneaking into the area, we here our 1st gobble (5:15). He's behind the oak grove and where the hens are normally. At 5:30, the hens start yelping and he starts going off. At this point, Eddie gets between the birds and me (75 yds behind him). At 5:45, the perfect scenario happens, a 2nd gobbler starts sounding off. As I was hoping for, both gobblers land in a meadow in front of Eddie and start fighting. A couple of minutes later, 7 hens fly in. As the winner heads off with the hens, I start yelping & purring (Freak again), and here comes the loser. When he got within 20 yds of Ed, he took him. A beautiful 3 year old, 20 lbs, 9 3/4" beard, & 1 1/8 hooks....Eddies 1st called in turkey....I think he's still shaken".....

Attachments

sportyg

Reaction score
Outstanding... Those are some great birds..

foulshot

Reaction score
Nice job Steve! You and the "boys" have really been putting a hurting on the fowl since dove season started last year!

socalgobblerhunter

Reaction score
Man Steve you are getting them. I hunted the archery only area today and worked two huge toms but they got hung up on a fence and would not go through it if I was the last hen san diego. They triple gobbled and cut me off every time I made a sound.

Great job Steve. Congrats to all.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
Socalgobblerhunter,

Gen, it's been a great year for 2 year old turkeys. One nice thing, you still have a month to go (
). How about this weather (101 in Esco)?......

I think this might be my favorite pic of the season (saturday).

Attachments

radioleo

Reaction score
Yo Steve,

NICE birds congrats.... YES that bird is the Tejon Ranch Hunt and I had a MEMORABLE time.

The hunt was text book and done by 6:20 A.M.

The birds bailed out of the roost at 5:45 A.M. and the guide called them in softly the 4 toms strutted and the dominant one push the other out of the area and made the shot at 40 yards.

Thanks

radioleo

Leo

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
i will second your choice for pic of the season,what a great one!!congrats to the boys and to you for takin um out

sportyg

Reaction score
Hey socalgobbler were you in there on the 20th ?? Do you drive a gray pickup ??

Latest Posts

Top Bottom