Greenhorn lurking

Shake1

Reaction score
 I found this website a few months ago and have frequenty visited, watching all the various discussion threads on building cameras.  This is an excellent and informative website!

My cousin and I currently have four CamTrakker units.  I have found them to be very good, but very expensive, so building them appeals to me!  Especially the digital units.  Will save us a bundle on development costs.

I am preparing to build my first 35mm homebrew camera and have acquired most parts to get started.  I will be using the Cannon Owl Sure Shot PF Date and Hamiltoe's design.

During my research on the various PIR's I came across some links I thought I would share, as well as a couple of significant questions for the goos of roo (gurus). <grin>

Questions:

On our lease, there is an abundance of dove and quail that hang around the feeders (feeders are heavily used here in TX).  How are the differnt PIR's sensitivity to this?  Some PIR's may be more sensitive to birds than others I'm sure.  The cameras are typically placed > 15 feet away from the feeders.  I do not want to spend money on developing pictures of dove and quail.  It gets expensive.

Our lease is in N. Central TX and the heat can be really bad (Cactus and Mesquite trees are the primary terain).  Our current CamTrakker units often fail when the heat gets to the upper ranges (100+ days and even nights).  How are the various PIR's holding up to these temperatures?  This is an important decision in building one of these cameras.  Our cameras will be in the direct sun as there are no shade trees.

Some info/links I came across:

I was at Lowe's for an hour or so yesterday, looking for a Lamson Home Products motion sensing unit, or even a product containing the MS20 PIR (e.g. Regent).  I was unable to find either of the units, in any of the departments (i.e. outdoor lighting, electrical, security, home automation, etc.).  I did find a GE motion sensor light switch that replaces a typical wall light switches.  In addition I also a section of X10 products containing the HawkEye MS13A sensor.

When I returned home I performed some heavy searches at the Lowe's and Home Depot websites.  I had some luck on the Lamson & Sessions product (same unit as Lamson Home Products unit).  I did not find any of the MS20 products.  I saw plenty of Regent products (now Cooper Lighting).  Model numbers MS240, MS35 and MS37 were all around.  I did not even see a product number containing the MS20 part number.  All product part numbers are listed on the shelves.  It appears the MS20 mdel number, and even it's close relatives, may have a new model number, however I am unsure what it is as I've never seen the MS20 in person to recognize one.  Not sure these other models use the same PIR.

I eventually spread my PIR search out across the Internet, covering all various PIR manufacturers, their distributers, etc.  I looked at quite a few.  Here are some links I noted that may help others.

Lamson Home Products (they also offer the Dimango product line):
http://www.lamson-home.com/
http://www.dimango.com/

The Lamson & Sessions PIR unit is available at the Lowe's website.  If this link does not work, search on the Lamson brand to locate their products:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productLis...SORIES.CATEGORY

Cooper Lighting (Cooper purchased Regent Lighting):
http://www.eagle-electric.com/products/residential.html

Here are the Cooper Lighting units available at Lowe's.  If this link does not work, seach on the Cooper brand:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productLis...SWITCH.CATEGORY

X10 motion sensors:
http://www.x10.com/products/product_motion_sensors.htm

Amazon.com sells a number of motion sensing units as well.  Desa International is one heavily promoted on their site:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/brows...7729269-1154514

One last observation (not a gripe).  In spending a tremendous amount of time on this site, searching for all threads related to whatever PIR I was interested in at the moment, which timer to use with what camera and PIR, or even which camera to begin with, etc., I noticed most information is spread out across multiple web pages and exists in many different discussion threads.  There are web pages for camera wiring, assorted discussion threads on timers, web pages on PIR's, but very little in the way of presenting consolidated information on putting together an entire camera from start to finish.  For example: assembly of an entire project such as an Owl + MS20 + timer;  an Owl + RS PIR + timer; an Owl + Lamson PIR + timer, etc.  Having each variation of these projects documented in one central spot would reduce the need for searching the forums for all relevant data (i.e. fixes/patches, improvements/enhancements, etc.).  I've found that many of the older message threads, containing relevant project data, no longer have working photos in them.

I came across Hamiltoe's design and believe he has done an outstanding job of creating a "soup to nuts" web page on his project, containing complete schematics, all instructions, parts lists and photos to build an entire camera from start to finish without having to search.  Again, this is just an observation on my part while gathering data for my camera project.

Once I have completed my first camera I will post a picture of it to add to the forum photo album.  Depending on how this project goes, I would like to get a digital camera project underway and test it as well!  It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the TX heat!

Take care all,
Shake1

(Edited by Shake1 at 1:52 pm on Mar. 8, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
I was only able to find the MS20's at Wal-Mart....not Lowes nor Home Depot.  Of the Wal-Marts, some had them, some didn't.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Shake1,
If you're going to use Hamiltoes board, I think he has it set up with a sensitivity control - so you should be able to "tune-out" most of the smaller animals (unless they get up close to the sensor).

High heat will be a problem for most any PIR based sensor (the reason so many professional biologists want ACTIVE IR sensors).  Brian has developed an advanced timer chip that will disable cam triggering during high heat periods to avoid film waste from false triggerings.  You could also try  using a solid state thermostat to cut off cam triggering at given temps (search threads from last summer on the heat problem).  Direct sunlight can cause all sorts of false triggerings even at lower temps.

Thanks for all the links - looks like you spent quite a bit 'o time on the 'net!

>>>>
Drop Jesse (spectr17) an e-mail describing any help you might be able to offer - moderating, archiving, constructing / updating web pages, etc - I'm certain he'd love the help :)

Archilochus

Bill Schultz

Reaction score
Go to walmart and get the mainstays WM2 it is the regent pir you ate looking for. It comes in a greenish box and says 110deg. motion activated security light. I got mine on sale for $6. and used it with a owl pf date camera. The pir is easy to work with but be carful with the pf date use real small wire and solder. you will see what I mean when you open one up.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Actually if you goto the main page on this site and goto the camtrakker link you can find a summary of how to build a cam.  Just an FYI.

Shake1

Reaction score
 Thanks guys!  Some great information in this thread and I will definitely look into these posts.  I purchased one of the Desa International PIR's on Amazon.com and will take it apart and check it out.  Man, am I rusty on this stuff!  I actually have an education in EE but went the IT route instead.  That was 13 years ago!  <grin>

BTW - I purchased my Owl Sure Shot PF Date camera via Amazon.com for $47.99.  Amazon allows you to purchase it through them, but pick it up at your local Circuit City store, on the same day.  You can do this WITHOUT paying any sales tax or shipping charges.  Pretty good deal!  The link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...7729269-1154514

Take care,
Shake1

(Edited by Shake1 at 6:24 pm on Mar. 8, 2002)

wfontjr

Reaction score
on the ms20 tape off the bottom row of fresnel squares, this will eliminate most  trips from small animals low to the ground

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Also,The Regent MS20 also known now as the "mainstay" (Walmart) is much more sensitive than the Radio Shack 49-425,what i mean is that i have one of each working,My mainstay i have actually tested out as far as 80' on a warm day while my RS 49-425 pics up motion at about 15' to 20' max.
 You may set up your cams watching trails coming into your feeders and not directly on the feeder itself,this is what i do and although i have one of Tinhorns 2 stage timers i dont use it anymore.

T

the hairless one

where is hamiltoes  cam instruction web page?

rick

Latest Posts

Top Bottom