Ground blinds - Best, Worst & Ridiculous

Chairman

Reaction score
OK - Here's your chance to review yours, or your buddies, ground blind.  I'm in the market for a ground blind, and I don't trust salemen very much.  As hard as it is to part with my hard earned $'s, it's even worse to find out you've been taken.  I'm looking for ease to set it up, able to withstand wind & rain, lots of room (I use a wheelchair) and stealth.  Any other suggestions would be mucho appreciated.  Any takers?

robNhood

Reaction score
Chairman,
It sounds like your best bet would be to draw up the idea, keeping in mind you needing access with you chair, and have someone build it.

Are there any tent & awning companies close to your home?

Seems if you could draw up the specs, put in a couple of windows for shooting...kind of like a tent, painted in camo, that you can get in and out of without much problems.

You could put up brush around it to break up the outline...do all sorts of neat tings to it.

Probably even modify an old tent that someone you know may have lying around colecting dust is another idea.

Give it some thought.

Chairman

Reaction score
robNhood,

Thanks for the reply.  Actually, I have thought about "remodeling" a tent.  If that's what it comes down to, that's what I'll do.

What I like about the ground blinds being offered on the market, is the ease to set up / take down by a single person.  It's a "being independent" thing.  There isn't always someone willing to come over and help me set up in the pre-dawn hours.  Plus, I'd like to be able to move the blind around, if need be (wind, getting "busted" etc.).

Again, thanks for the reply - Chairman

robNhood

Reaction score
I wish you all the luck and hope that you find the right setup that works well for you.

Wouldn't it be great to get this all setup yourself, take a nice deer and still have the independence you are looking for?

Good luck and be sure to show me the pictures!

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Chairman: Sorry I don't have any specific experience with one, but I've seen the sales reps demonstrate models at shows. I would get one of those that advertise "sets up in 5 seconds". You literally pull them out of a compact bag, toss it in the air, and POOF there is your blind. It would be easy to pull it over yourself in a wheelchair.

In getting out my BPS catalog - I would consider the Ameristep Outhouse Blind in Mossy Oak BreakUp. Spendy at $119 but less than most others. Only eight pounds. If you don't like it send it back!

Chairman

Reaction score
Hey, Matt...

I just received a new BPS catalog yesterday.  I'm considering a "Ground Tracker Magnum" - 6'x6'x6 1/2'.  It also has carbon in the material - great for reducing scent. (I think that's the name of it - I don't have the catalog in front of me)  It's about $200 - about $249 less than  the Double Bull T5.

Thanks for the replys - I'll get back with y'all after I talk my wife into it...hehehe :D

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Go to BPS and have them pull it out and show it to you,set it up!!! before you buy,then youll know what your getting(they will do this if you ask)

Chairman

Reaction score
Thanks, Passthru!  I will!

Matt - I made a few mistakes in my last post.  That's what I get for quoteing from memory.  Here's the real deal-

Game Tracker Carbon Cabin Pop Out Blind - not Ground Tracker  Jeez!   5'x5'x5'9"  $299.99

VS.

Underbrush Shelter Pro Magnum Bowhunter's Blind 6'x6'x6'  $269.99  I'll have to go to BPS to test drive them!

The Double Bull Titan - T5 Pro Blind is 6'4"x6'4"x5"6" and costs $449.99

Anybody own one of these?  I will in about a week! :D

It's going to be between the Game Tracker & the Underbrush...

Chairman

Reaction score
You got that right!  $449 is too much for me!  I'll probably go for the Underbrush @ $269...  AFTER I test drive it...

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Chairman,

I've never used a pop up blind, I could have used one a few times drawing on turkeys and deer. I started looking at them last year and most of the turkey bowhunters raved about the Double Bull Ice blinds. After looking at that price it kind of takes your breath away huh.

Chairman

Reaction score
Hey, Jesse!

It takes more than my breathe away....  Just try to justify it with the wife!  LOL

I could probably do without one, but it's real hard to conceal my movement in a wheelchair.  The deer would have to really cooperate!  I've had deer come up behind me and beside me - I just couldn't turn around.....  I'm not one that has to have all the gadgets, bells and whistles.  Some of my needs are basic which are considered luxury's to others.

Thanks for replying  :D

Chairman

Reaction score
Ok - I finally went to BPS and bought a blind.  The "Underbrush" blind I wanted to look at was - of course - a catalog item.  I looked at comparable blinds, and discovered ALL the windows were to low!  I'd have to bend over with my chest nearly in my lap to be able to shoot.  I'm glad I took y'all's advice about making the trip, instead of ordering from the catalog....

I did purchase an "Ameristep Outhouse" ground blind.  The entry door was better, and the windows are large (and adjustable  - zipper).  It was nearly the least expensive!  Retail is $149.00, Bass Pro had it listed at $119.00 and they had a special going on - I got it for $99.00  I'll give y'all a review after I use it a couple of times.  Two more weeks!

BPS was 225 miles round-trip, but it worth avoiding the aggravation of having to return anything through the catalog!  I don't know about the blind being named "Outhouse" - sure hope it lives up to it's features more than it's name! LOL

(Edited by Chairman at 2:06 pm on Sep. 15, 2001)

Top Bottom