Ground Blinds

D

DAVIDO

Hello all, I am in the process a building a ground blind for hunting. if anyone has helpful suggestions I can incorporate this would be helpful. If anyone is interested I will post photos and give helpful suggestions.

Welby

Reaction score
Davido, I have made an assortment of portable ground blinds utilizing painted burlap material and either fiberglass tent poles or 1/2" EMT conduit.  They work very well.

Recently, however, I discovered another great idea for a ground blind.  I was chatting with my online friend Tinhorn when he shared with me an idea for ground blinds that he has used before.  Instead of anything elaborate, he suggested just using the camo netting material with some tie strings.  You could just roll the material up and store it in a pocket (pretty big one, at that!), but when you need it, you could just unroll it quickly and tie it on nearby bushes for support.

Using his idea as a basis, I purchased three yards of the new Realtree Timber camo (the netting by itself doesn't completely hide your silhouette - it's too transparent) and had my mother sew some loops in strategic places suitable for attaching tie out strings.  Now, when I am turkey hunting or bowhunting, if I am in a place where I can't put a treestand but there are small bushes, I can tie my material to the small bushes and use it as a quick setup blind.

A great idea I thought, though I must admit I have yet to use mine.  The only disadvantage is that you couldn't use this idea where there are no small bushes, unless you bring some type of small supports such as the tent poles.

Total cost to make this blind was about $12.

Trapp

Reaction score
Start going to rummage sales and look for fake Christmas trees. Disassemble the tree so you have the tree branches separated, now place the tree branches all over you’re ground blind and now you have a 3-D looking blind. You also could spray paint the branches to the color of you hunting area

NC Bowhunter

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a homemade ground blind that I use sometimes.  It's just made of camo netting and sticks as supports.  Everything is attached using those black tie things (I can't remember what they're called)

MNHNTR

Reaction score
If you have any WAl marts nearby I bought some camo material / netting which is very light.  My bro and I used the material like a ghillie suit.

Fubar

Reaction score
NC Bowhunter  Nice pic but where is the blind?         Fubar

Possum

Reaction score
I about ran over a neat ground blind yesterday when parking to go hunting.  One of the guys at our club had taken panel wire and made a circle.  Then he had taken finnel (spelling?) bushes and stuck through the panels.  The wire was kind of rusted.  I almost did not see it.  It looked like a cheap good idea that did not have to be moved all the time.

StringShooter

Reaction score
I have been seeing more and more articles in hunting mags about ground hunting blinds. I have been thinking about trying one this season and was looking for some input. I have been a tree stand hunter for years and was thinking that there are some great spots on my property that would be ideal for a ground blind.

Any ideas? Types?

I have heard that the Double Bulls are pretty good but the price is kind of steep.

The only draw back that I could figure would be my field of vision. Seems that detection would be sort of low since you are mainly hidden insdie the blind and the article that I read said that deer do not pay much attention to the blinds at all.

Bald Eagle

Inactive
Reaction score
I've had some experience with ground blinds and I'm amazed how effective they can be.  I think there are several reasons for this.  You're scent is sometimes contained inside and the deer are on the lookout for unusual objects with movement.  A blind can also be positioned back into the brush sometimes which seems to help.

I do, however, think that a blind limits a hunter's field of view to a point that it hurts your chances of getting off a good shot.  I guess I'm so used to the panoramic view from a tree stand that a ground blind seems too confining.  It's terrible to hear something going on out there and not being able to get a good look-see.  If you have too many openings or if you have openings directly across from one another the deer will pick you out in a second.  What I mean by directly across from one another is when you create a see-through line of sight.  Then they can see movement very easily.

coyote170

Reaction score
There are many different views on blinds I have used one for the last
three years and would not go back to a tree stand for anything the
hunting results,etc have been great and thats all I can say try one you
will lke it Iuse an Ameristep penthouse and am very happy with it!!

StringShooter

Reaction score
Most of the reviews that I have read speak so highly of the Double Bull blinds, I would be reluctant to try one of the others. But after looking in the area of $350 - $400 bucks, I may have to try something cheaper. I guess that I'll keep looking around to see what my best bet would be.

I know that you get what you pay for.

coyote170

Reaction score
The same blind I paid 315.00 you can get at Cabelas for 249.00 check their
web site!

Chairman

Reaction score
I bought an Ameristep Outhouse ground blind last year.  The only thing I don't care for is that the camo pattern tends to "blob" at a distance.  Be sure and put the blind in good brush cover, or you'll stand out like a sore thumb....  Be sure to keep the blind out of sunny spots ~ your shadow is very visible if the blind doesn't have a good lining ~ another reason I don't care for my Ameristep Outhouse.  The name kinda fits....maybe I should have taken that as an omen.

A good friend of mine bought a Double Bull T2 blind, last year.  It has the shoot-through windows, and the inside lining hides any movement.  Now, he swears by them.  Yes the cost is high, but look at the price you pay for other quality hunting gear.  As soon as I can afford it, I'm gonna buy a Double Bull ground blind.

(Edited by Chairman at 2:21 pm on June 30, 2002)

StringShooter

Reaction score
Thanks Chairman,
I probably will save some extra cash and go with the Double Bull too. I might as well get something that will work the best instead of low balling and getting something I might regret.

This one piece of property that I hunt in Franklin Co., just west of St. Louis, is loaded with cedar trees and it is hard to find a tree to climb. A good blind should do me good.

Here is some info someone put out on the Double Bull. Looks like a nice product.

http://users.ev1.net/~chada/blind2.html
http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.net/D...Bull-setUp.html

Here is a pic of a buck I took last season with my trail cam. He is still around, no one else hunts the place. In order to have a chance on this guy, I'm gonna need a blind for sure.

(Edited by StringShooter at 2:55 pm on June 30, 2002)

Chairman

Reaction score
I learned my lesson...they were "on sale"....

That's exactly why I bought a ground blind last year ~ my property's loaded with Cedars too.  Now, if I could only find a decent camo pattern to blend in.  My Ameristep Outhouse has the Mossy Oak pattern, which is one of my favorites.  I'd prefer a decent "Cedar" pattern, though.  The blind's already shaped like a cedar tree...(pop-up).  I don't think I've ever seen a cedar pattern available.  Have you ever seen one?

Nice Buck!  That's something else that's on my wish list ~ a trail camera.  I saw a buck in velvet, just the other day.  He was standing right outside my sliding glass doors!  :surprised-purple:  I could just strap the camera to my deck....and, voila!  :smile-big-blue:

hucklburry

Reaction score
I build my own blinds, under some trees, in deadfalls. Sometimes I just build up some branches and stuff, sometimes I use the camo burlap overlaid with branches and leaves.

With about 4 on the property, and 2 stands, I can always hunt the wind and try different areas depending on my mood, time of season, etc.

Just spend a little time out there building up a few blinds, put a couple 5 gallon buckets out, and get one of this inflatable seat cushions to sit on.  Works for me, I am hooked on ground blinds, but use stands also. Helps to mix it up!

--Jim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom