Ground blinds

feathershot

Reaction score
I bought a Double Bull/Dark Horse edition ground blind prior to this (recently past) turkey hunting season.. I took it out of the box, setup the blind, hid in it in my back yard with my bow (excited as could be), and then upon trying to fold it back up into the transport position, I very carefully snapped two of the fiberglass poles making the thing unusable (for the following weekend's hunt that I would have gotten the gobbler with a 10" beard!!! -right?!) DARN IT!

I was so frustrated I sent it back to Cabelas and ordered another one, figuring that it certainly wasn't my lack of engineering and tent construction sense.. The last one had to be a POS to begin with.

Well. Guess what? Snapped this one trying to fold it up by myself too within 10 minutes of getting it outta the box...

OH COME ON NOW!!

On the video they sure work killer, and my buddy has a different Double Bull model that seems to break down and fold up way easier than the Dark Horse model did..
**Note to self-- ask my friend which model he has and get that one**

Is it only me, or are these things a pain in the butt to break down and put in the travel bag??
It would be really difficult, I imagine, for a guy that is by himself to break one down alone (especially in the in the dark) and not scare everything away within a one mile radius after cursing at at the heep of broken fiberglass and fabric..

Any one have a similar experience, or like a different model better?? Perhaps it is just me.

PaPaBob

Reaction score
LOL LOL Yes, I broke a couple of rods in my DB blind a couple years ago. But, with a quick call and a return to the factory when it didn't have Primo's name on it they fixed it as there is a lifetime warranty on those fiberglass rods . . . Hope you didn't purchase a second blind but rather got yourself a replacement.

Go to the Primo's website and view their instructional video's as there is a correct and incorrect way of popping them up and taking them down. It is absolutely important to note the way the hubs lay one on top of the other. Get it wrong and snap. They will catch on each other and bind. If it doesn't go easily back up and start over. After viewing the video's and watching it over a couple of times I can put it up and down in a snap. . . it is just a little technique that you need to understand. You should have received a DVD or video tape with the blind to demo this . . .

Anyway just watch the video at the Primo's site and you should be all set. They will fix the rods for you at no cost other than shipping. I just went to the Primos site and at the bottom of the Ground Blind page are the Instructional Video clips. The Dark Horse has it's own clip on the far right.

BTW: It was actually my son that broke the rods and he thought he knew how to do it without viewing the instructions. Could have smacked him up along side the head for that one.

SMA

Reaction score
No Feathershot its you, But lets give you a hand. Start by laying the blind on the ground all bundled up. stand with the hubs ie silver round things, at your feet. Then lean over and grab 2 rods opposite of the hubs. pull them back towards you this will make a square witch is one of the side walls. pop up the center hub this will pop out the wall. mean wile all the other silver hubs will be at your feet still. Get down on one knee, lift up the wall and grab ALL the silver hubs and push them towards the center of the wall that is popped out. then stand up and push out the other silver hubs till wall is popped out. believe me I did just what you did. Once you do it 2 times its easy. when you take it down, tip blind on its side. the one on the ground will automatically collapse pull the roof in the one to your right and the one to your left and the wall that is above you head leave till the last make sure you pull all the hubs back to you where they are all together the collapse the last wall. I hope this helps you. believe me I pulled ALL my hair out till I got it down. Best blind out there hands down. Good Luck
Robert

PaPaBob

Reaction score
SMA is correct as it is an awesome blind. I have two. The key is after the first wall is popped up then the final 5 hubs(Top, left side, right side, and far side) have to lay in that order with the left and right overlapping the far side or bottom hub. Then pop up the top and everything else is easy. Just reverse it to take it down.

The funniest thing in the world would have been seeing me in the woods in the dark one day when I first bought it trying to pop up my easy to use DB blind. . . . 20 minutes later and a bucket of sweat and a lot of cuss words and I just said Screw it and folded it up and went looking for one of my permanent treestands. . . LOL

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
I'm liking my DarkHorse and really like the T2....Luckly I haven't broke any thing, but I've pinched the spit out some fingers...Here's Nate taking on the blind, along with a set-up shot of the DarkHorse...

Attachments

feathershot

Reaction score
Sweet!!! thanks for the "how to's"... It helps.. Setting it up wasnt tough for me.. I did watch the video (actually) it was just hard getting it back to where I started.

Thanks for the help.. A couple of new rods and I will be back in action.

Thanks again for the pointer.

FS

SMA

Reaction score
By the way, call DB and they will send you 2 new rods.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Good points all. I also think the heavy duty poles are better than the fiberglass ones.

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
When setting up I pop all the walls out first and then the roof. When taking down I take the roof down first followed by the walls. I have broken many rods but now I never force it. If it ain't going easy, start over.

Buck Hunter Vic

Reaction score
I have the Ameristep TSC and it's easy to set up. 1st pop out the outside wall's, then the roof,and the pole's,fit just right,no pole breaking, of any kind. Atleast not as of yet.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I have several Ameristep Dominator 360 blinds, they fade fast but are pretty good for the price. Double Bull 360 are the best hands down!

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardoutwest @ Jul 8 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have several Ameristep Dominator 360 blinds, they fade fast but are pretty good for the price. Double Bull 360 are the best hands down![/b]
Damn un-stable if you ask me....

bighorn67

Reaction score
I've got a Yukon blind with the spring steel hoop type frame. It sets up in one minute and breaks down into it's disc shaped carrier really fast. I strap it on to my eberlestock pack for hiking in.

Dave

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
I have a Double Bull T-2 and couple Ameristep dog house blinds. I wanted to get the double bull B5 or T-5.

HeavyHorns

Reaction score
Picked up a Ground Max Predator Den a couple of months ago. Have not had it in the field. Only shot out of it in the backyard.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
Ike not sure about unstable, but that chair is a killer!!

P.S. I have assed a "soft" floor this year.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (richardoutwest @ Jul 11 2008, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ike not sure about unstable, but that chair is a killer!!

P.S. I have assed a "soft" floor this year.[/b]

LMAO! I was hoping for a safety harness, but ok...

Top Bottom