Ground Slew Birds? Is It Unsportman Like ?

Sidekick

Reaction score
Every so often I run into someone who gets raged on for ground shooting a game bird. Is it unsportman like, unethical, or does it make any difference ?

hronk

Reaction score
If someone,kid or adult, goes with me and shoots a bird, that is not wounded, on the ground or on the water, they will never go with me again!  It's called hunting, not killing.........hronk

jackrabbit

Reaction score
If the opportunities to bag game meat are limited, I don't have any problem with anybody ground-shooting a bird.  No, it is not hunting in the traditional bird-shooting sense, but the hunter still had to produce the effort to get that opportunity to start with.  And yes, it is killing, but then maybe we could just call it "harvesting" and everyone can be politically "happy."  I don't think any hunter could get the usual feeling of satisfaction from bagging a bird if it is a ground-shot, but I fault nobody who loves the taste of wild game and also feels that it may be unlikely he/she will have many opportunities given their current circumstances and investment in time, effort, and even money.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 The only bird I will ground sluice is mountain quail, which is why I don't use my dogs to hunt them.  Anybody who hunts mountain quail where I do knows they will not fly, you might as well stay home if you only shoot them in flight.  To each his own.

Brian

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean whoadog.  Mountain quail ought to be reclassified as resident small game and hunted with .22 rimfire, now that would really be sporting, and it would be a lot easier on the vegetation than birdshot.  (;))

tinner

Reaction score
is ground shooting the same as taking them out of a tree. i chased a dove in niland for over two hundred yards and i dusted him twice. finally he sat on a dead branch and i harvested it. well maby he died of exhaustion and lead poisioning. point is i took one out of a tree. same or not.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I was always taught not to do it and have taught the same to my wife, nephew, and son. I don't find it very sporting and agree with hronk... if you want to do it, go hunt with someone else!!     Scott

EVAN III

Reaction score
 Ground shooting birds is not my idea of hunting, but some birds (Mountain Quail) just won't fly sometimes, So I have hit my share of birds on the ground. I don't know if I would call it unsportsman like conduct but its alot funner tro take them out of the air.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
If it has feathers then it should be shot in the air. When I was a kid, hunting Quail with my granpa, I was about to shoot a covey on the ground, my granpa gave me this look that I will never forget and then he told me if it's got feathers, shot it in the air.
oh yah, that was after he slaped me upside the head(OUCH) he was very old school.:hammer:

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I never do, except for finishing off a cripple.

However, after my last chukar hunt, I may reconsider that thought process.

tinner

Reaction score
hey evan that thinking just might translate into a hunt at rahaugees

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Last Friday I kept running after damn quail that would not fly eventhough they were two feet in front of me.  Frustrating, yes, but I didn't shoot 'em while they ran.  I always shoot 'em flying.

Eric

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I respect everybody's position and persnonal convictions on this topic. But the posts on quail, especially, make me wonder.  Could a no-fly/no-shoot policy effect a Darwinian evolution on our quail population so that only those quail who refuse to fly, but run instead, shall survive and procreate?  If so, then quail will lose their ability to fly over time.  And then they will be as Mountain Quail in my post above, and then they will indeed be reclassified as resident small game, legally harvestable by .22 rimfire, or at least by #4 birdshot as are our illustrious Thanksgiving bird -- the Turkey.  Whoops! Is shooting a Turkey on the ground unethical and "not hunting".  I think we ought to kick them and make them fly before we shoot them, since they have not yet lost the physiological engineering to make them capable of flight.  On the other hand, if we shot every winged bird, currently capable of full flight, that refused to fly, we would then cull out flying birds that just didn't have the right stuff.

EVAN III

Reaction score
OK  now like I said before its not my idea of hunting but I have one question . Whats the difference between hiting a rabbit while running  and  hiting a bird while running?  As for finishing a cripple whats wrong with a quick twist of the neck? Its alot quieter and alot less messy and just as quick. I always eat what I shoot.  Thats why I don't hunt Dove. I just can't stand the taste. Although It's probly one of the funnest birds to hunt (low and fast). If any of you can help with a good recipe, I'd love to give it a try. Anyway back to the point there are things that are just flat out unsportsman and there are things that are questionable. And Tinner (reffering to my post about  ranches ) thats why I'm looking for wild birds, theres alot more sport to it.
 Happy Hunting to all  

lintongb

Reaction score
I prefer to shoot birds in the air.  I'm not going to lie and say that I have never taken one on the ground either.  My first quail when I was 12 was on the ground and I was thrilled.  I am older and a better shot now so I prefer air shots.  However, I have a question for some of you.  I don't mean to play devils advocate so don't take this the wrong way. But, what about hunting quail or other birds with archery?  I know some people hunt birds this way.  You have to be one hell of a good shot to take quail in the air with an arrow!

hronk

Reaction score
OK, I'll bite....  Quail, running or sitting with one lone shaft with whatever tiip you choose,  or a load of 71/2 or 8's with a 30 in diameter pattern.  the difference is pretty obvious to me.....hronk

hronk

Reaction score
EVAN III:  I'll gladly trade all of my ducks(except Cans.) for all of your Dove.  I breast em, cover em with Flour and a little Garlic and pepper, put em in the Dutch oven at 300 with some butter, and presto....Real good stuff.....hronk

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I won't swat anything with feathers while it's on the ground unless it's a cripple.  I stopped hunting the pheasant clubs because so many of the darn birds wouldn't fly.  On my last trip to the Antelope Valley Sportsman's Club my buddy and I chased a pheasant for about 100 yards.  When we stopped, the pheasant stopped.  I finally picked up a rock and threw it at the bird, hoping to induce it to fly.  Well, my aim was really bad (or really good depending how you look at it) and the stone hit the bird squarely in the neck, breaking its neck and killing it.  Not at all gratifying.  Now I  won't hunt upland birds without a dog.

As to the doves, breast them, wrap in bacon, soak in BBQ sauce, and grill them.  Tasty.

Regards,
Paul

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I say shoot on the fly, its just more fun that way.

Dove:  Breast out,  brown in olive oil, then saute in Tomatillo sauce (AKA Chile Verde)

Tomatillo Sauce.  

4 -5 five tomatillo's (more if you want to make some extra for Chile Verde)
2-3 Habanero Chile's (or serano for less spicy)(more if you want it to be spicier)
Cook on the range or skillet. Blacken tomatillos and Habanero's (choice of chile.  
Blend with fresh garlic,onion, and cilantro
Add salt to taste.
This is an excellent sauce for all meals.
Substitute tomatoes for tomatillo for red sauce

Enjoy

lintongb

Reaction score
Hronk,
I understand your point and thanks for stating it.  I guess there are exceptions and we can see that.  For me, the excitement or fun is in the challenge.  Obviously, air shots are more challenging than ground ones let alone with a bow.  I was just curious because I saw guy out in the field once with a recurve bow and arrows with large fletching trying to hunt pheasant/quail.  I was pretty amazed.

Bubba,  
That sounds good I'll have to copy that one down.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom