Ground Squirrels In SoCal

YoteMan

Reaction score
I've just ordered a new Encore rifle and Bullberry barrel in 223 AI and would like to know if there are any areas in southern california where I can hunt ground squirrels.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Fubar

Reaction score
YoteMan  Welcome to Jesses Forum. I dont hunt a lot of ground squirrels, probably because there are not that many in So Cal compared to Central Cal. Most of the public ground here in So Cal you can hunt, (National Forest and BLM) just dont have the numbers of the little critters. I know they offer a varmint package at the Tejon Ranch. I am not sure of the cost but it is probably a bit expenxsive. I bet some of the others in here know some spots.          Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
The upland game package at Tejon lets you shoot the little critters.  It's $800/yr.  A bit pricey if all you're looking for is squirrels.

As Fubar says, there are lots of them up a little north as you get to the central and costal part of the state.

If you're in LA you might want to consider a drive to Palmdale/Landcaster.  There is quite a bit of open land at the West end of 110th Street out of Palmdale where the pavement stops.  I've had some decent shooting out there.  Go on a weekday if you can so you don't have to worry about the mortorcycles, etc.

If you want to drive a little further, the Carizo Plain BLM parcel has more than enough to keep you busy.  It's best in the spring when it's all green and the new critters are out.  By this time of the year, they're smarter and fewer but still worth the drive for me.

PS - now that I've disclosed a few nice spots, I'm expecting others to do likewise :wink-yellow:

(Edited by songdog at 2:54 pm on Sep. 17, 2001)

YoteMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!

Songdog, where is the Carizo Plain?  I can't wait for my barrel to get here.  I might have to go out there early with my XP100 in 223.

songdog

Reaction score
It's in the southwestern portion of the Central Valley.  If you've hunted ducks at Kern go West and you'll gun into the top of the parcel.  It's very big.  Grab a  BLM map or a deLorme and take a look.  It's too big to miss.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
yoteman- If you come out to the Lancaster/Palmdale area watch out. Alot of that area is restricted to shotguns only. People shoot out here alot, but you have to watch where you are. It is not enforced very well, but I would hate to see you lose your new rifle or get a ticket. I grew up out here and miss the old days when you just had to get out of city limits and anything goes.    Scott

songdog

Reaction score
Good point.  Most (but not all) of the shotgun only areas are to the East of Landcaster.  

LA County publishes a map called "Firearms Closure Areas" that is color coded red for areas where no firearm discharge is allowed, yellow for shotgun only and green for rifle/shotgun.  It's pretty handy.  I've actually used mine twice to show the local sheriff and another time guy on a mortorcycle that it was ok to be hunting in a particular area.

Fubar

Reaction score
songdog  Where did you get your map? Thanx   Fubar

songdog

Reaction score
A friend picked it up for me quite a while ago.  It's from the Fish & Game Commission so I'd assume that you could pick one up at one of their field offices.  Here in SoCal that's either Long Beach or San Diego (I think).

If someone can figure out how to scan a 24"x36" map it would be nice to have it online for all to use.

(Edited by songdog at 12:59 pm on Sep. 19, 2001)

JForgy

Reaction score
I got my LA county firearm closure map from the Ranger station in Wrightwood.  I know that San Gabriel Valley Quail Unlimited will be selling them at their Quail Season TuneUpBarBQ on Oct 10 at Triple B Clays also.  They really do come in handy, they show no firearm discharge areas, and shotgun only areas also.  They even have some roads marked that aren't on some maps.  I believe that Jesse scanned the map also and it's here on his site.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom