Ground squirrels

MAC

Reaction score
i may be thinking ahead a month or two, but i am curious as to if there is decent ground squirrel opportunities up in the carrizo plain. has anybody shot 'em up there?
also with out revealing honey holes, where should i point my nose to start looking for some areas in socal to pop a few critters?

songdog

Reaction score
Plenty of them up in the Carrizo area.  Wait until the spring green up and some warm weather and you should find plenty.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I think Carrizo and the surrounding area may be about the best ground squirrel area around here.  I used to get great shooting at Camp Pendleton under their small game hunting program but the last couple of years were way down.

Hook

Reaction score
I'll be heading to the Carrizo Plains this weekend to do some varmint hunting. I will let you guys know what the squirrel population is like when I get back.

Wish me luck...

yotegetter

Reaction score
Carrizo is a good spot for ground squirrels. Wish I could go up there with you Hook!!

songdog

Reaction score
I saw more cotton tails out there than I expected a couple of weeks ago for the quail/chukar closer.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Bishop,
It seems that the jackrabbits are a little more scarce there than they were a few years ago.
A few years ago they were all over the place, and we had a blast shooting them. Who knows maybe coyotes, or do they run in cycles like cotton tails? Anybody know?  I was there Saturday and went back Sunday for a while and saw 3 or 4. There are still some there but I wouldn't say there in great numbers.

Kernhuntr

Rimrock

Reaction score
Kernhunter,
I think all species of rabbits run in cycles. It depends on what you are reading, but it seems to be seven to ten years.

Play fair.

mustystubs

Reaction score
Is Carrizo BLM land?  How is the access?

Also, the ground squirrels I am familiar with up here in No. Cal. gestate between about Feb. 1 and Apr. 1 so you might want to let 'em breed until April.

yotegetter

Reaction score
I've never seen jackrabbits up there. I did see cottontails last I was up there. I've seen lots of jackrabbits over in Fish Canyon. Too bad that place is off limits for the bunnies.

Hook

Reaction score
Thanks mustystubs, I didn't know about the gestation period. I will let them breed until spring.

I was headed up there for coyotes as my primary target.

shaginator

Reaction score
Anyone try to eat these critters?

Not sure if I'm brave enough to try one of those myself. The ones I've spotted look like they're infested with fleas and ticks... moreso than you'd find on a pig or deer per square inch if that's possible. Not a fun thing to clean.

(Edited by shaginator at 6:16 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)

BlitzKing

Reaction score
Carrizo is about shot out.and I must say I have had a little to do with it I try to go out about three times a year but it really has been slowing down the last several years .but on a good note I just got back from FHL and it was a really good trip

MountainMan

Reaction score
Stupid Squirrels! These are the most annoying animal ever to deflict our yard, thrashing the fruit trees, making a mess and not even running when you come out the door!  However a certain part siamese female cat dispatched several of them.
This is however not enough to deter the little monsters a Thomson Contender with a .22 Hornet Barrel will dispatch then quicker. A Ruger 10/22 or a .22 pellet gun are also useful for this. Cheetos or greasy corn chips will lure them to the killing zone. Makes you wish you could own an American 180 .22 Long Rifle Machine Gun to blast the vahmits to Alpha Centuri!!!  

mustystubs

Reaction score
Shag:

Not only wouldn't I eat one, I wouldn't even touch one.  Never know which one is carrying plague infected fleas.  The fleas seem to immediately sense when their hosts body has assumed room temperature and they immediately start the search for a new host, which could be you if you get too close to a newly dead one.

shaginator

Reaction score
I ask because I saw a couple of guys coming down the hills in the Los Banos area each carrying about a dozen ground squirrels. I passed them, said "hi" but that was about it.

Maybe they just wanted the fur, or maybe feed their dogs; but from what you guys have said they don't even look good enough to feed the house pets.

MAC

Reaction score
i think fubar had a nice recipe for ground squirrels. maybe if he is nice he will post it again.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom