Ground Sqweeral hunting at FHL?

Bill in SD

Reaction score
I was wondering if hunting ground squirrels was legal at Fort Hunter Liggett.  In California, ground squirrels are non game animals and are open all year, with no bag limit.

What restrictions, if any does FHL have?
Thanks
Bill

shaginator

Reaction score
The National Forest area near and around the fort has open space with plenty of squirrels. You may also want to talk with some of the ranchers in the area. They seem to have plenty of g.s. on their land co-habitating with cattle. Sometimes they are not allowed to use chemicals to eradicate them, especially near national forest and/or wilderness land, so they may be glad to talk to someone who wants to take on the time-consuming "task" of plinking away those critters from their lands.

(Edited by shaginator at 8:42 pm on Feb. 20, 2002)

Fubar

Reaction score
No you are not allowed to shoot ground squirrels in any area on FHL.             Fubar

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Thanks Fubar,
I was thinking the same thing. I've not hunted FHL in about 8 years, but the last time I was there they had a bad flea and tick problem. I mean bad. They would not lot the troops do munuvers in some areas do to infestation. I asked about squirrel hunting and was told no way. But do you know why you can't?

Kernhuntr

Fubar

Reaction score
Kernhuntr I am not sure what the reason is for no squirrel hunting. It wasnt too long ago you couldnt shoot coyotes. Now coyotes are fair game.
You are right about the ticks. They are everywhere. I take lots of them off me every turkey season.          Fubar

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Fubar, thanks.  How is the turkey hunting at FHL?

Bill

Bill in SD

Reaction score
When I was last at FHL they did not list ground squirrels on the list of animals that could be hunted card.

My theory is that either the person in charge loves the little creatures or it would be considered target practice.

I mean there are so many squirrels at FHL that just a few guys could shoot hundreds of rounds all weekend at them and it could interfere with the other hunters, hunting other game.

Maybe they want to control the amount of gunfire in each unit?

Bill

nextrodeo

Reaction score
I was told that the fleas carry bubonic plauge so they  didnt want us pulling bloody arrows out of flea infested rodents.By the way I saw a nice tom all by himself last deer season.Thats the way it seems it goes for me every time I go there, Im hunting deer, miss two shots at hogs and find turkeys and coyotes.

rlwright

Reaction score
nextrodeo, Welcome to the forum. What part of Ca are you from?

Isn't that frustrating, the game thats out of season is plentiful when your targeting the game thats in season. My routine is that when I turkey hunt I see lot's of quail. When I quail hunt I see lot's of coyotes. I got introduced to coyote hunting on this forum at the end of quail season, so I decided to try it. Naturally I havn't seen any coyotes yet.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
nextrodeo,
Welcome to Jesse's, I think you'll find it to be a great bunch of people.
Did they happen to tell you why you can't shoot the little critters with a firearm? I'd be curious to find out.
Kernhuntr

nextrodeo

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Im from the central coast and still got a small ranch there but I screwed up and got a good job in So. Cal and had to move out to Victorville. As far as the fort is concerned no rodent shooting.

rlwright

Reaction score
Theres some chukar in the fairview mtns. near victorville, you ever hunt them?

nextrodeo

Reaction score
Im not even sure of the name of the mtns I hunt, but I got a little brittany that hammers the mtn quail and valley quail,I see tracks and feathers from chuckers but so far, nothing.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom