Grouse info

Wild Turk

Reaction score
Any thoughts on general locations for Blue Grouse?  I have seen them deer hunting, but not in enough abundance to actually hunt them.  Do most people hunt them from the road or do they get dogs and move throught the woods?

Also, what is the season this year?

Thanks!

Whoadog

Reaction score
 With all this talk of blue grouse lately maybe we should have a JHP grouse hunting trip.

Brian

hunter mike

Reaction score
I have seen Blue's in the Modoc and Lassen NF's above 4,000 feet.  I was deer hunting x4 last year and there were plenty of them up there.  You wouldn't need a dog to hunt where I was but it would be more fun if you did.  As for road hunting them I guess you could...  The season is the second Saturday in Sept and it lasts a month.

Whoadog

Reaction score
Mike,
 It sounds like up where you are hunting them it may be more open, I should try up that way sometime with my dogs where I hunt them it is just a brushy mess, a good fire is much needed in there.

Brian

hunter mike

Reaction score
Whoadog,

There is mixed terrain where I've seen them.  I've only actually hunted them a few times, where I did it was somewhat brushy.  I did run across several in open areas when deer hunting w/o the shotgun, hopefully that will not happen this year.  I plan on having the shotgun close enough this time around.

arizona jim

Reaction score
I have only hunted them in AZ. The area I archery deer hunt is 12A East Or West, it has alot of them. I hunt them in the fire breaks next to the tree line or walk the areas along the dirt roads where the grass is high. Just walk along about 20yds inside the tree line. It is about 8000 to 9000 feet up there.  

Top Bottom