Grouse

rlwright

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to get a Sage Grouse tag next season for the  north Inyo/south Mono area, and was wondering if it would be worth it. Has any one ever hunted for grouse in Ca? There's a season on Blues, Ruffs, and Sage Grouse. How far north do you have to go?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I drew Lassen a few years back and when up there blind looking around.  I ran into two ranchers up there who told me they used to be all over the place but haven't seen any the last few years.  I also didn't see one in the two days I was up there.  I went to NV two weeks ago and seen a flight of 200+ Sage grouse, it was amazing.  There is talk of putting them on the endangered species list but I still talk to people that do well on them in Wyoming and Nevada.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
I applied a few years back on a whim for the Lassen hunt and actually got drawn.  My wife ended up having a baby at the same time so I never made it up but it sounded fun.

I shot a blue, ruffed and spruce grouse this fall in ID.  Pretty neat looking birds.  Very different when you're use to quail, pheasants and chukar.  Better be quick with that gun cause you're not going to get a long time to think about the shot.

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I got drawn once about 5 years ago for Sage Grouse . Went out to Bodie. Our group of 3 all got theirs.

wyokid

Reaction score
Whoadog is right they are plentiful in Wyoming. Especially on the eastern side near Nebraska. About the same as the pheasant. Have only seen 2 in California.

Bodie

Reaction score
Grew up close to Susanville and go fishing around Mammoth twice a year and have only seen a total of 3 sage grouse in my life (27 years old).  I also, make a trip to Bodie about everyother year and have never seen any grouse around there.  

I have thought about putting in for the hunt around the Lassen area, but just not motivated enough to do that much walking, knowing I will probably never come across one.

Dakota

Reaction score
I managed to bag two last season, but that was in MT (my first).  They are definatley something to see.  Like shooting Teradactyls!  Even convinced my wife to let me mount one.  She has already told me more than once if I brought another "dead thing" in the house I was next.

songdog

Reaction score
How about ruffed and blue grouse in CA?  How far south have they come?

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
We seen quite a few ruffed/blue grouse up in Noerthern CA while hunting C zone.  Man, they are fast and very hard to sneak up on.

East Coast

Reaction score
Hunting Ruffed Grouse is as fun as it gets in my opinion.  Used to hunt them on a daily basis in Pennsylvania.  I do know that their numbers are very cyclical from year to year.  This may be the reason some of you haven't seen any while others have reached their limits...

If I could find a good Ruufed Grouse spot in CA I will definitely make the trip...

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have killed several blue grouse but the warden up where I hunt said he has only seen one ruffed grouse up there in all of his years.

Brian

rlwright

Reaction score
How far north is the C zone, I'm not a deer hunter yet. My dad has a place on Ashlan ave. in Fresno. When I stay there I hunt Squaws Leap for valley quail. Would there be any grouse in that area? There is an abundance of quail.  

docramo

Reaction score
a lot of grouse around lake crowley. coveys of 20-30 birds.

songdog

Reaction score
I'm assuming the grouse you're talking about around Crowley are sage grouse and you can't hunt them without the permit/drawing?  Or are you talking about forest grouse up higher?

ranchwife

Reaction score
There are a lot of Blue Grouse in my neck of the woods (extreme northern california) - but the exact locations are secret.  My father and husband both filled their limit in about an hour. Yes, this was on USFS land.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Exact locations aren't necessary but type of terrain or similar conditions at other locations would be nice.  Every time I think I've been in a Blue Grouse area I've been wrong and it's a long way from SoCal to be wrong.

ranchwife

Reaction score
Blue grouse (at least those that reside in extreme northern CA) tend to be in areas with white fir trees (they actually eat the fir needles and roost/hide in the trees) and berries.  We have a lot of grouse in areas with a lot of snowberries and elderberries.  The terraine doesn't matter as long as there are fir and berries.  If you know where the berry patches are that are surrounded by fir, then there will probably be grouse there.

(Edited by ranchwife at 3:00 pm on Jan. 18, 2002)

woodseye

Reaction score
Makes me wish you could all experience a day of Ruffed Grouse hunting behind my house here in Maine. I know its a long way from California but they are plentiful and fun to hunt. We shoot all we want.

Swiss Lad

Reaction score
Good place to start.  Thanks.  Sounds like a good excuse for a weekend hike.

docramo

Reaction score
The covey's are sage grouse. Unfortunately even if you were lucky to draw a permit this area is outside the permit area for so. Mono Cty. Sorry I didn't get back to Songdog sooner but was in Az. hunting quail. Did shoot my first Blue grouse nearby @10,000 ft....tough!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom