GSP likes to drink tranny fluid!!

jackrabbit

Reaction score
This is a first for me after owning more than eight backyard/house dogs.

Couple years ago my son's friends left out a quart of power steering fluid while working on an off-road Cherokee, thinking the dogs would not bother it -- WRONG -- the GSP chewed it open and the spill killed a lot of turf area in the back yard!

I thought that was just an anomaly, figuring the GSP was just doing his usual "chew the plastic chit" and play routine.

But today I was draining the tranny in my vehicle in prep to put in a rebuilt tranny, and lo and behold, the damn GSP kept going back under the vehicle to lap up the tranny fluid from the drain pan as if it was water!! (I have a lot of concrete slab area in the back yard for this kind of work). He would take a few licks, then try to rub the nasty stuff off his tongue by licking his tongue off his forelegs, but then he would go back to the pan under the vehicle and repeat the same process again.

Lucky for me I was right there, still working on cleaning some spill areas and getting ready to empty the drain pan for proper recycling disposal. I immediately kenneled the GSP and the partner beagle and got everything secured.

I knew dogs were attracted to automotive antifreeze, but I had never had a dog attracted to tranny fluid before. Now I know to watch out for accidental dog poisoning with tranny fluid also when doing my backyard automotive work!

Rodburner

Reaction score
Ya well my buddies GSP would eat my birds if i didn't get to them first he thought is was shooting HIS! dinner !!!

Common Sense

Reaction score
Sounds like your dog had a GSP for a mama, and a marmot for a daddy.

BrittGSP818

Reaction score
My pup always drinks the pool water, not sure why but maybe he likes the chlorine taste.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom