Guide/Outfitter Information

'Ike'

Reaction score
Anyone hunted with or know of Mr. Marvin James out of Flagstaff, AZ........Lives and hunts in the unit I drew...Looking at possibly going guided on this oppurtunity and his name has topped the list...Thank you for any information!!!

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
He isn't one of "GEORGES"  boys,is HE ??[/b]
Yeah if he works for USO , I wouldn't give him the time of day

WW

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
NO!!!
Don't worry, that's not happening.........Mr. James is a local out of Flagstaff, AZ........

Outdoor Writer

Reaction score
Ike,

You had better find a guide PDQ. From what I hear, most guides in the state are turning away many hunters because they are filled as a result of the court case.

One guide I spoke had 40 of his applicants get permits; he can't handle more than 20. Plus, he's getting calls from guys that had already been turned down by other guides that are booked solid.

It sounds as if many NR hunters will be left to their own devices as a result of the court decision. -TONY

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Tony, I've heard of that most are rifle
hunters though......Thanks for the heads-up though.........

subfan

Reaction score
There should be some interesting stories coming out of this season. I sure there will be some lil ones taken that were mighty expensive. Not the massive herd bull everyone wanted.

Outdoor Writer

Reaction score
Ike,

I'm having a discussion in another forum with a gent who pulled a 5B North tag for archery. He is also looking for a guide. As a result, over the last two days I have called close to a dozen I know who guide BOW hunters. Of those I have managed to talk to, none has an opening where he or his guides can do a hunt in 5BN. Only one had an opening but that was only for Unit 8 or 10, where his two camps will be located. Another one puts all his resources into Unit 1; he's booked solid with bowhunters. He's the one where 40 of his guys drew permits, either for archery and gun! Another is filled for the unit 10 hunt and has no more guides that he would trust available.

A lot of this is a case of logistics. Many of these guys concentrate only in one or two units. So unless someone's permit is for that unit, they are SOL. Plus, a lot of them had clients already lined up for hunts if they drew permits. You didn't mention what unit you drew, but if James has an opening, you'd better jump on it. In any case, I hope you find someone. -TONY

COUESNAM

Reaction score
Honestly guys for a archery early bowhunt you have no need for a guide. In 5b and pretty much all elk units the big bulls are everywhere. What I like to do is drive around at night and early before it is light and just bugle to locate areas w/ large concentrations of bulls. The bulls are all looking for cows so the large concentration areas usuall have herd bulls. Calling in bulls is easy, even if you have never done it before. A bugle to locate and a cow call brings them right in. For the herd bulls you usually need to be pretty close and bugling works better w/ them.

'Ike'

Reaction score
You know I've talked to a few. but haven't decided yet.....With all the BS going on, I've lost the edge/excitement of it.....May just pull the plug!!! Thanks for the info though!

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
In 5b and pretty much all elk units the big bulls are everywhere.[/b]

Couesnam will you come on my hunt with me?

With all the BS going on, I've lost the edge/excitement of it.....May just pull the plug!!![/b]
Ike you are too wrapped up in this BS. Turn off your computer for a few days and have a beer. You are holding onto a coveted elk tag that you may never see again. Enjoy and good luck. We should hook up and share some stories one night. I'll be there the whole season, unless some Az residents see my N/R plates and burn my camp down!!! Ed F

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
EdF, you were right!!! A 'couple' Corona Lights
and I'm good to go!!! I may base out of Flagstaff area, I'll keep you posted!
You draw any other tags this year?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Ike, I drew a Wy deer and antelope tag. I also drew a Co deer tag that I am getting a refund on. It conflicts with the Az elk hunt. That's all for the draws. I'm going to Kodiak in Nov for Sitka blacktails and then I end the season in Az in Jan. Oh yeah, throw in some local hunts for deer in A-31 and D-11/14. How about you. Ed F

Also want to talk to you about your Nv hunt. I have three points and am planning on drawing next year!

'Ike'

Reaction score
Ed F, If AZ hadn't turned out like it did, I was 0-6!!!
I'll be hunting A1 (C1) for the opener and Oregon during the late season (Nov) for Blacktails in the rut

Sure, hit me up for NV..........

Top Bottom