Guide to Hiring Women

Orygun

Reaction score
Times have change a bit:

[attachment=51179:1943hire.jpg]

Attachments

Orygun

Reaction score
My very gay and very feminist friend at work sent that article to me. She thought it was funny. Not that it was particularly goods movie, but they hit one that article topic indirectly in Swing Shift.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
I have several possible responses to this article, but I've decided it is just too early in the morning for that much sarcasm.

Perhaps later.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I hired 2 young girls a few years back to run the office of my company.
It occured to me we never had females working for us.
So I sat the boys down, my crew, and laid the law down about behavior and language on the Radios and in the presence of these young ladies.
I was also told by an HR friend of mine to never stand over them while giving them directives while they were sitting in their office chairs.
It was better to just pull up a chair and sit eye to eye.
It eliminates the intimidation factor.

They both came from broken homes so I basically ended up a father fiqure.

One thing I did notice was that after about a month our work load had increased dramatically.
I never told the drivers what I was paying them.
They were good gals and gave me a freedom I never had.
I could jump in a rig and hit the road.
I hated being in the office anyway.
They put out fires and kept us on good terms with our major clients.

I put up a big sign in the shared bathroom that said, "Drivers! Lift the seat!"

GSG.
It was a different mindset back then. And then there was the war effort on top of that.
It was a man's world back then, but times have changed.

I'm interested in hearing your gut response.

2rocky

Reaction score
Regardless of 1943 mentality, I have found that most female employees do not want to be "one of the boys". In a business where the office is mainly female, and the plant is all male, there are days where I find any excuse to get out of the office for as much of the day as possible.

Men and Women are different in their emotions and responses to different situations. Just as individuals have different tolerances and triggers.

There is a definate possibility that my bosses were given this article as a guide when they started "up front". It sure wouldn't fly in a modern workplace though. Some of the generalizations did make me chuckle though. (i think that was the purpose of the article)

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
2rocky, it is a product of a certain era and a mindset and it made me laugh too. I'm glad most men don't think of women like that any more.

Tmoniz, I think my favorite on the list was #6. It makes me laugh to think that there was a time when it was thought that women couldn't motivate or manage themselves.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
GSG

Yeah that statement was a peach.
Not very true is it.

I think women are more diligent in the work place than men.
And more productive.

mudwalker

Reaction score
My mom worked most of my life. She was a well respected legal secretary. But I remember her telling stories about job interviews where she was asked to stand and face the wall. If her nose and her toes were the only thing that touch the wall, she wasn't hired. Luckily, that wasn't a problem for her. But, skill and typing were secondary for a long time in teh work force. But she did what she had to do to provide for her three kids.

With that in mind, I think of hte day I had at work today. I spent most of the day in the office of a female GVP at the fortune 50 company where we both work. Niether of us could have gotten there without those other women slowly breaking down the barriers.

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
Mudwalker,

My Mom always worked too, so I grew up thinking that was normal. She faced her share of discrimination, but worked her way up from a Staff Nurse to Director of Nurses. You're so right, attitudes wouldn't be what they are today if a lot of women (and men) hadn't worked to break down barriers.

It is funny how those attitudes still exist though. In my work life I'm pretty blunt and straightforward. One of our other companies works with a company in Mexico. They asked us to analyze their marketing and apparently criticism from a mere woman made the guys who run that company uncomfortable. I'm so used to how things are here that attitude took me a bit by surprise.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom