Guillotine style broadheads

gatorfan

Reaction score
I've decided to concentrate on getting a gobbler with the bow this year and was wondering if any of you have tried any of the various guillotine style broadheads that are available. It looks like those are one and done type broadheads so practicing with them could get a little spendy. Any personal experiences? I've been practicing with regular fixed blades and am pretty confident that I can stick a bird at 20-30 yards but with one of these other types it looks like you get about 4" of cutting surface.

I just noticed that I put this in the wrong forum. How do I move it to the equipment forum?

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
IMO they are pretty useless. I know other folks in JHO have said they had good luck with them, but I hated them after I spent big $$ getting several. Like you said they are tough to practice with and they flew VERY different for me. I bought three and figured I'd donate one to seeing how they flew. I shot at a corn stalk figuring that would approximate the turkeys neck. At 20 yards it hit way off, and the second time I shot it a blade sheared off. I donated a second one to finally get my bow shooting them right. The first shot I got at a turkey was about 10 yards and it did the job, but it also broke the broadhead. One turkey for 3 broadheads was more than I can afford. I have always used my regular hunting heads and had great luck with them. I have used both Vortex mechanicals and Montec G5 fixed blades. I am very comfortable shooting either broadhead, and feel confident that I can place them exactly where I want them at 25 yards and under (my max distance for turkeys). Once again IMO, being deadly accurate is the key. The only turkeys I have seen lost with a bow were the result of poor hits. You have a really small kill zone, and a rather large cripple zone... That is one advantage of the guillotine type head, you either cut the head off or you miss for the most part.
If you try them I'd really like to hear your opinion.

Mergrath

Reaction score
Welcome home Peter!

Go with the 2-blade Rage expandables my friend. Head shots with a set-up you can't afford to practice with is not a smart choice.

gatorfan

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mergrath @ Mar 25 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Welcome home Peter!

Go with the 2-blade Rage expandables my friend. Head shots with a set-up you can't afford to practice with is not a smart choice.[/b]
Uh, that's Mr. Peter to you.

Not sure about expandables on a turkey. Anyone tried this? I switched to expandables already for this coming deer season but was thinking about using fixed bladed for turkey.
I'm not sure, anyone shoot expandables at a turkey? If so, I'll just stick with my Rage 3-blades.

Oregon Archer

Reaction score
Put as big of a hole in the turkey as you can. Ive seen a turkey get shot clean through the vitals with a regular broadhead and just fly off never to be found. Your Rage broadheads would do a great job on a turkey, but if youre interested in the guillotine style check out the new Bullheads from Magnus. They have thicker blades that are offset to help with flight. Supposedly they are more accurate that the Gobbler Guillotines and can be shot at farther yardages.

Magnus Bullhead

gatorfan

Reaction score
Thanks all.
I'm only going for head shots so it's 1 shot, 1 kill or free bird. I've heard way too many bad stories of wounded birds flying off to be tomorrow's coyote breakfast. I haven't had any problems getting a bird with the shotgun (yet) so I thought I'd switch up and use the bow this year. I think I'll stay with what I have and go from there.......

Raully

Reaction score
I'll be shooting the Rage 2-blade. I hear they do good on them birds. Plus they fly with my fieldpoints so I can shoot a little farther if need be and still make the shot. Big wound making broadhead is the trick.

Mergrath

Reaction score
So you're gonna go for a head shot with a fixed blade? Damn Mr. Peter you're mighty skilled. Ask around...lots of people using expandables this year on those tough SOB's!

-Good luck!

SDHNTR

Reaction score
It's a fixed blade with a 3"+ cutting diameter. Made for head shots.

Top Bottom