Gun hunters - do you use treestands?

nickroy77

As an anniversary gift my wife got me a Summit Viper X4 tree stand. What a sweetheart!

So next year or maybe later this season, I'll get back into archery hunting.

But for M/L and shotgun/rifle does anybody use a treestand?

Or do you primarily still hunt or walk around until you find a good spot and then grab a seat?

I generally do the latter but seeing that my success rate is at 0 for the past 5 yrs I need to smarten up or something! So I'm curious to see what hunting styles work in NH (instead of on the hunting shows ).

Thanks - Nick

gonehunting

Still hunting is an effective way to hunt If done right, but that is hard to do. Most Times I try it I end up on a stroll through the woods instead of still hunting with out realizing it. As far as walking around till you find a spot, you should have your spot picked out before season if at all possible. I think if you did some pre season scouting and placed your stand accordingly and sat in it all day, get there in the dark and leave there in the dark (also if possible) then you should have a lot better chance of filling your freezer.

Bubcat

I've found tree stands to be real productive. Funny they aren't as common up here as down country.

And not to sound like a know it all, but if you got to sit in a stand "all day" to get a deer, I'm thinking you're on a poor location.

Unless they're heavily hunted, deer movements are predictable. and it's not about being in the right place at the right time, it's about knowing the time and place.

Do your "hunting" in the weeks leading up to the season - save deer season for shooting.

Hunting pressure can change things, but for every mountain with hunters bumping both sides, there's usually a saddle, or a funnel somewhere that deer can slip back and forth. (Great place for a stand) and let the others push the deer back and forth by your stand.

gonehunting

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Unless they're heavily hunted, deer movements are predictable. and it's not about being in the right place at the right time, it's about knowing the time and place.[/b]

Hmmmm.....Although I agree with knowing the place, and yes to an extent the time is predictable (early mornings and late evenings) but I would hardly set my watch by it. Many things factor into the daily movement of deer, Weather, other hunters ( not necessarily heavy hunting pressure either) or they just get a wild hair up their A## and decide to move. If weather was bad the night before, they are more apt to move during the next day because they are hungry. If your season is during the rut, then all bets are off, The bucks have one thing on their mind and they will be doing anything they can to get it. One wiff of a doe in heat and they are on their way. I have shot bucks though out the day, the biggest was post rut and was around 12:00. Might as well put the odds in your favor and stay in you tree stand all day if your schedule permits.

Bubcat

[ "Many things factor into the daily movement of deer.."]

Of course they do, and some can introduce a touch of Murphy's law to any plan,

But these "factors" are all what a good hunter considers when taking a stand.

If you know you're area, then you know where the deer are likely put up in a storm. you know the escape routes they've applied to hunters in the past. You know the prevailing winds, and how to work them, you know where the mast crops are most plentiful, you know the popular runs, and when bucks are in rut, you know the most likely place to use does for bait. And you know where to sit to get the best possible view of any of these factors. And don't all these things contribute to what makes the deer a little more predictable?

And quite typically, mid day is the poorest time of day, as a rule, to expect to take a deer from a tree stand. I'm not saying it can't be done, but "the odds" are against it. Statistically it's the least promising time of the day for a deer hunter. That the biggest deer you ever shot happened to go down at noon, isn't a strong basis for deer hunters to expect to follow suit, or sleep in on opening day.

If a fella is gonna hunt from a treestand, and hunt all day, he's better off to get on his feet and try to pop one up in a bedding area than than he is to set in a tree all day.

And doing his homework BEFORE season, is going to to increase a mans odds way beyond how much time he spends in a tree DURING the season.

gonehunting

Well, since this is really not going in the direction of the origional question asked, I will just state my bottom line and leave it at that. I scout year round, I do my homework, I don't claim to be a great hunter, nor am I really trying to give a basis for other hunters to follow suit. Just throwing my two cents worth in. Basically, my motto is you have a better chance at getting an animal out in the woods than you do in your living room. That means hunting even during the "statistically"poorest times of the day if you can. If hunting all day means I'm not a "good hunter", so be it. I would rather be out hunting.

Bubcat

GH;

I'm not trying to sidetrack the question, or imply you're a poor hunter.

The original "Question" was about the use of a "treestand", and hunting from it. routinely that's a dawn and dusk proposition for most circumstances.

Midday would be better spent on foot. That's all I'm saying.

I don't think there's nothing better than a day in the woods, and anybody who appreciates that time ain't a poor hunter by me. Just dedicated.

nickroy77

Hey Bubcat and gonehunting,

You both have brought up some very good points. The lack of time spent scouting pre-season is definitely the biggest reason I have been unable to shoot a deer (can't say unlucky because I'm still lucky enough to get outdoors!!!)

Anyways I hear what both of ya's are saying and thanks fro the response.

Top Bottom