Gun issue

Freedom

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this should be in the Shotgun section but I figured you guys probably have more experience with this than anyone and all of you probably don't visit that forum.  Anyways, my problem is this, I patterened my Remington 1187 SuperMag last night and it seems to be patterning a good 6"'s low.  I'm shooting Winchester Supreme FPS's with 2 oz's of #4 shot.  I have a Kick's .660 choke tube and the forcing cone is lengthened.  Any ideas on how I can correct the problem or is a matter of "Kentucky Windage"?  Thanks guys!

Freedom

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this should be in the Shotgun section but I figured you guys probably have more experience with this than anyone and all of you probably don't visit that forum.  Anyways, my problem is this, I patterened my Remington 1187 SuperMag last night and it seems to be patterning a good 6"'s low.  I'm shooting Winchester Supreme FPS's with 2 oz's of #4 shot.  I have a Kick's .660 choke tube and the forcing cone is lengthened.  Any ideas on how I can correct the problem or is a matter of "Kentucky Windage"?  Thanks guys!

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Hey Freedom,

That's exactly why I put a scope on my turkey gun last year. I don't have that problem anymore. I didn't feel comfortable using the "kentucky windage" out in the field. Good Luck to you.

Freedom

Reaction score
I suppose that's a possibility for in the future but out of my financial means for this season.  It's not TOO big of a problem, I mean if I hold directly on the head it peppers the H#ll out of the neck.

Thanks for your help though!

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
If the choke tube and forcing cone are removable, install a mod choke and re-pattern... Is it still 6" low?

TScottW99

Reaction score
i agree with the scope or you can use adjustable sights such as the william's firesights or tru-glo sights... also some chokes will shoot low/high/left/right while another choke may shoot to point of aim.... then it could also be your barrel and a gunsmith could fix it by bending it.  good luck this spring.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Hey Freedom,

You say it shoots 6" low. At what yardage are you shooting? Have you tried different brands of shells? Also have you tried different size shot(#5,#6)? This can make a difference. In my Winchester model 1300 it shoots #4  better than #5 or #6 but in my brothers 835 it shoots #5 better. Just some thoughts you might try.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Freedom,

I know a case where the threads / cones were not perfectly installed and caused the shot to be thrown off center.  I hate it when stuff like that happens. Why it's so important to pattern our loads & get to the range well in advance, on any type of firearm we use.      

Good Luck!

Frank

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Freedom ,

first check to see if the choke tube is aligned with the bore correctly by being concentric, if you find it is ok then most likely you will have to install a set of sights to raise your pattern

if shooting low then you will need a sight on the rear to raise your sighting plane which will bring the pattern up

i see a LOT of Remington barrels that the choke is out of alignment which causes this type of pattern problems
they have poor quality control to let some i've seen even out the door
so look at your barrel first

Later,

huntducks

Reaction score
Freedom

Let me ask you are you the only one who has shot it in patterning? did you shoot it from a rest like sand bags? also with a load that heavy you could be flinching that is why I was suggesting the first two ???. also everyones sight picture is differn't.

I have a 870 3.5" that patterns 6" high and to the left with several sizes and brands of smaller steel shot, BBB and T's & bismuth it is right there, lead is not near as fussy as steel.

Good luck

jerry d

Reaction score
How does it pattern with the original choke tubes that came with the gun.

If it patterned that low with the original choke tubes, I'd contact the Remington people.

If it patterns ok with the original choke tubes I'd think it's a problem with the Kick's choke tube, like Gun Docc said.

PowDuck

Reaction score
For now the Kentucky windage thing is your best bet. Try different loads, as mentioned earlier. My 870 shoots different loads to different points of aim with nothing else changed.

Freedom

Reaction score
I got lucky last night (not that kind of lucky!!!) I happened to be talking to my uncle and mentioned the problem to him.  He's a big turkey hunter and he said "You know, I think I have an extra scope and bracket for a Remington out in my gun room!"  So he went out and dug around and sure enough he did!  So he's gonna let me borrow that for the season or until I can afford to get something else!  I'm grinning now!  I'll pick that up on Saturday, sight it in and have a whole week to spare!  Thanks for all your help and suggestions though!:smile-blue

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Freedom,

Even tho you got the problem fixed for now you could have made a "V-notch" rear sight out of a chunk of rubber and taped it to the barrel, either on the vent rib if it has one or around the barrel itself if it don't.....

A used Winchester Model 12 I bought shot 2' (that's 2 feet) low at 40 yards.  At the time I worked in a machine shot so carefully bent the barrel with a hydraulic press (watching a Gauge, it didn't take much actual bend but was surprised how much the barrel would bend and spring back)  After several attemps, the gun shot 6" high, which is what I wanted. (got a turkey at 37 yards with it that year)  The next year, the barrel shot low again, the barrel had slowly straightened itself I guess.   I made the V-notch site out of a chunk of rubber and re-zeroed the gun for that year but got rid of it after turkey season, just like the guy before me did probably.

Bought a New REM 11-87 and it shot 6" low  at 40 yards, man I was mad, but this was in 1987 or 88 when finding them was not easy so out comes the chunk of rubber and another V-notch site make.  It's still on there, was always going to buy a "Real" V-notch site but this worked so well........

Tinhorn

Freedom

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for your replies!  I will look into the way the Kick's tube screws in to see if it aligns with the barrel properly.  Also, I'll have to check and see how it patterns with the other tubes.  I talked to an uncle last night and he had an extra Remington mount and shotgun scope available so he told me I could borrow that for the season (which starts on the 27th!) so I'm going to check what you guys said and then put that on for now.  Thanks for all your help!

Freedom

DoubleGun

Reaction score
How much of the rib do you see when sighting? I would try dropping the back end down just a bit, and try holding your cheek a little higher
Good luck Jess

mustystubs

Reaction score
It would seem that the shot pattern would drop that far at forty yards due to gravity.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I sold a Winchester I had because it shot low and bought a Rem 11-87 which also shot low    Ahhhhhhh

So I put a rear sight on it (Turkey Gun)  ( this was in 1987 )

Tinhorn

tinner

Reaction score
i patterened all three of my guns last year before quail(browning bps 12ga, ithaca 51 featherlite auto 12ga, ted williams 20ga) at 30 paces all 3 shot high and right. i seemed to compensate for it myself.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom