gun selection

gone2hunt

Reaction score
what is the type of guns you all use for waterfowl.  o/u vs pump vs semi-auto.  What is the most efficient and why?

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Winchester X2 3.5" 12 Gauge.  It shoots heavy loads and dove loads as well!

songdog

Reaction score
I shoot a 28ga Red Label for alomst everything except waterfowl and turkey.  I shot Remington 1100/11-87 and 870s for years at ducks and bought a Benelli SBE about four years ago.  I really like Remington shotguns but there's something about this Benelli that just feels right in a duck blind.  

Although I planned on getting it for the 3.5" loads the only time I really shoot them is at coyotes and turkeys.  3" seems to be fine for the ducks and geese.

It's pretty pricey but I'd buy it again...

Thonzberry

Reaction score
There are alot of shot guns out there to choose from,
by far the Remington 870 pump has test time and time agian to be the work horse of hunting. I use a Rem 870 or my S&W Auto. It's all what you want to spend and what feels go to you. Good Luck

Karry,
p.s. when we go agian for quail I'll bring my 870 so you can shoot it and see what you think.

D Sea

Reaction score
I use an 870 primarily, although last year, I did have pretty good luck with a Browing Citori.  I think it was mainly psychological, but knowing I only had two shots with the browning, I would tend to wait a little longer and get in better shots.  Fewer cripples that was as well.

Jay

Reaction score
I love two things about my Mossberg 835:

1. That heavy barrel forces a good follow through.
2. The on top safety is more natural for shotgunning (point & shoot) plus I think it's safer since it's not located near the trigger.

2curljohnny

Reaction score
12 ga. BPS. put a briley extended choke tube in it last year, a perfect match, i've never seen ducks stoned so hard in my life.:skeered: also bottom eject is a huge plus for sculling or pit shooting. and like jay stated the top safety is convenient,nice to see mossberg took after the best:bgaqua:

VA Native

Reaction score
I use an 870 for everything.  I have since I was 11 years old (28 years now.)  I have burried it in mud, sand, snow, dirt and water.  I have (as little kids tend to do) left it in a gun case wet and dirty for months.  And it has never let me down.  I know it will be passed on to my son and his son after him.  If you are looking for a good reliable and easy to maintain gun, the 870 is it.

312B1

Reaction score
I use a Benelli SBE/IC Comp-N-Choke most of the time but I switch to my 835 when I feel like using my faster reloads because the SBE doesn't seem to pattern the fast stuff very well. I don't know which one I would say was more efficient but I would say any serious waterfowler should get their shotguns in camo because of the rust protection(unless you don't mind cleaning your gun after each and every hunt).

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I use a Benelli SBE Camo for almost everything from Waterfowl to Predator up close.  I have a Ruger 28ga o/u for upland game birds as well.

The Benelli is such a versatile gun and quick to get out, so it is the main one I use.  It is camoflauge so that is another thing I don't have to worry about.  It shoots the spectrum of shell sizes and patterns wonderfully with the steel load I shoot.  It also has never jammed due to mud or freezing, which says alot for an auto.   The Ruger is just a fun gun to shoot, so that is used often too.

Lots of opinions on this one...

Eric Mayer

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Another vote for the pumps, especially the durable 870, but also the Mossberg 500.  The Browning is nice, but I don't like the bottom eject (purely personal choice).  Like a couple of others, I prefer the tang safety, rather than mounted on the trigger guard.  

All that aside, I mostly shoot an old Savage SxS (Model 311, I think).  No choke tubes, no 3.5" mambo chambers... just a good old 12 ga with Mod and Full barrels.  A lot of times it's like shooting a rifle at doves and ducks, but it sure feels nice.  

What I'm trying to say is... almost all 12ga shotguns will do the trick, and do it nicely.  It's all about what feels good to you.  

d trees

Reaction score
bought a browning gold hunter 3.5 last year and love it , I own several other shotguns that are prolly feeling neglected,d

bloodsports

Reaction score
I have a Savage 24e ( 22 win. mag on top and 20 gauge under ).  Would this gun be affective on coyotes and bobcats?  Also what size shot do you guys use when hunting with shotguns for coyotes/bobcats.  
Sorry for all the recent questions but I am new to this Varmint hunt and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks          

songdog

Reaction score
I have basically the same gun - a Savage 24F with a .22 Hornet on top and a 12 ga on bottom.  It's a great gun for calling.  I kind of think they built is specially for us.

The .22Mag is a little light for coyotes but will still do the job under 100 yards with some of the new bullets.  With the 20 ga., I'd shoot #3 Buck.  You'll still get a fair number of pellets in there and plenty of mass to kill something out to 40 yards or so.  Plus, 3" copper plated lead BBs (ideal load) is pretty hard to find in 12 ga let alone 20ga.

For a fox/bobcat gun, it's ideal.  If you have a .22 caliber centerfire (.222, .223, .22-250) that would be a notch better for coyotes but I'd wait to buy that gun until you have a few skins on the stretchers and know a little more what you like.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
All I have to say is the Beretta 391. The best gun I have. It's good for everything that has feathers.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Songdog,  I was given several cases of Federal 3" Magnums BB ( 1 7/8 oz ) lead.  If you are ever in the Southbay area and would like a few boxes drop me a line, your more then welcome to them.  

songdog

Reaction score
12ga?  I'd make the trip down there just for that!

Better yet, why don't you head up this way and we'll take you out to the desert and show you this predator hunting thing first hand?

Seriously, (on the hunt offer too), but what do you want $$ for them?

bloodsports

Reaction score
I want nothing for them, there all yours.  I would love to go hunting with you but I have several ressi cards and will be duck hunting for the next three weeks.  However I will be hunting at Kern Refuge on Wed 11/28 and if your on the way Iam more the willing to meet up with you to give you the boxes.  

Megadeth

Reaction score
Ive shot an 870 Wingmaster for years, but last year I bought the 11-87. Theyre both fine guns, I wouldnt trade them for anything. My 870 is only a 23/4 chamber , without interchangeable chokes. So of course I usually  shoot the auto , it seems. The 11-87 does have a few weak points, but overall it is a great gun.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom