Gunstrap slides off backpack shoulder strap easily

CaliJeephuntr

I have a Badlands Day pack that is pretty nice for hunting, but it doesn't do well holding the gun on my shoulder. I have to push the gun strap past the backpacks shoulder strap and then kind of wedge it underneath partly. It works ok that way, but will eventually get back over the backpack strap and then want to slide off.

I'm thinking of putting a strap on the backpack shoulder strap with some kind of hook to stop the gun from sliding. Something like this:

http://www.ykkfastening.com/products/plastic_hardware/strap_adjuster/lk-hc.html

The only thing is this one seems pretty big and i've been unable to find one that's smaller. I know I have seen some catches like this but smaller and more squared.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this that they solved?

OPAH

I sewed a wood toggle to my shoulder strap of my pack just forward of the top of the shoulder, Nothing elaborate but it stopped the rifle sling from sliding off.

Last edited:

mischief209

Your looking for the "quake claw" its rubberized with texture and sticks like glue. I had a leather 1 for awhile and it kept slipping. Research lead me to the claw. It comes in many shapes,sizes,colors, and can be had at your local retailers.

mischief209

One other thing to check into and see if they will work for you is a kifaru or stone glacier pack sling and see if you can modify it to hang on your pack. They are the best, look at a coupe videos if u have a chance and see how they work. Maybe they can be modified to fit your pack. I like the SG sling the best. Very easy to use,quick access, quieter.

TheGDog

You may want to checkout the Kifaru Gun-Bearer (The Universal one, if you are like me and don't have a Kifaru pack).

You may find you like it's design better than a traditional sling.

You can draw and shoulder your weapon much quicker with their design.

OPAH

No the groove and hole Is where you sew It on the strap, the sling will slide under one end or the other of
the toggle. But then again I am also now looking at the Kifaru Gun-Bearer! ilike the hands free, nut when you need the rifle its shouldered in a snap and it distributes the weight better.
But for a quick fix the toggle worked just fine

CaliforniaKid

I have the Kifaru Gun-Bearer and it is awesome. Allows you to keep the rifle in front of your shoulder at all times. Worth the money.

CaliJeephuntr

Seems like the kifaru gun bearer would get in the way of using the binocs? Definitely intriguing though.

I think my dad my have a gun strap like the quake claw. I'll have to find out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CaliforniaKid

No issue at all with using binoculars and having the gun-bearer. Take a look at Randy Newbergs videos on CarbonTV. He uses one and there's no issue.

TheGDog

Wha? The Gun-Bearer doesn't get in the way of binocs at all. The top of the gun is strapped to your shoulder strap on the backpack with a loop with a buckle, that's oriented for quick release.

I will say this though. Since wearing belts, when they slide down to low, can cause my hip sockets to hurt (previous injuries etc) I usually only use the gun-bearer at the beginning of hiking in until I pass-by all the areas where more hiker people might be. And I only do that just so they don't spaz out on seeing a gun in your hands, y'know? Besides that the only other time I use the gun-bearer is on the hike-out.

I make it a point to carry the gun in my hands at all times since I'm usually solo, and since I'd kick myself if I ever missed an opportunity because I wasn't at the ready. Also it's a nice subtle Bicep workout carrying a rifle around all day. Gives your arms a good pump you can feel at the end of the day. But it's not punishing by any means.

The only other times I'll strap the gun down is if I have to pioneer back up some ridiculously steep hillside where I need both hands, such as those found off Glendora Mountain Rd. by the water reservoirs.

Top Bottom