Hagel: US May Need New Political Party

chuam

Reaction score
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Chuck Hagel writes in a new book that the United States needs independent leadership and possibly another political party, while suggesting the Iraq war might be remembered as one of the five biggest blunders in history.

"In the current impasse, an independent candidate for the presidency, or a bipartisan unity ticket ... could be appealing to Americans," Hagel writes in "America: Our Next Chapter," due in stores Tuesday. The Associated Press obtained an advance copy.

link

gwhunter69

Reaction score
...like we do not have enough political parties??? Yeah, let add another one...How about the "I am retiring from the US Senate and I wanted everyone to know what a great and moderate guy I am so I can get huge speaking engagement fees" Party. We'll make Chuck Hagel the founding member. I am sure John Edwards and Tom Daschle would join of course...

chuckslayer

Reaction score
YUP !
"Moderates" like to straddle the fence..that is good, because one small slip, they fall, and catch it right where they deserve it !...

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, we need a serious house cleaning of all our elected politicos. Real term limits, a part time volunteer legislature, create performance based insentives and remove all monetary perks like the obscene pensions...
Do your job or you're out...

mdhntr

Reaction score
Right on Easymoney!! I have supported term limits for a long time. I don't believe it was ever intended to have these career politicians.

easymoney

Reaction score
IMHO, if all legislators were limited to one or at most two terms we would not have the lifers like "the swimmer" kennedy and we would not be paying their outrageous salaries and retirement packages...
Anyone who doubts the logic of this just google legislator perks...

swampy tim

Reaction score
We have term limits now, it is called elections. The people have spoken and they want the system and politicians we have now. I want to limit voting to taxpaying citizens only and move election day to April 16. S/T

chuckslayer

Reaction score
It is a tragic thing..that congress controls their own wages, bennies and retirement..

1fitspirit

Reaction score
We don't need another party, we need a couple that we can trust to be legislators, not politicians. Make term limits the law of the land, a maximum of 8 years of service in Congress (combined), grandfather clause for the whiners who are already in, as long as they can get themselves re-elected, and put some fresh faces on the various committees every couple of years.

Advertisement

Top Bottom