Hamiltoes Board

knothead

Reaction score
i got my FIRST one in today and was very pleased.he mounted the pir and sent instructions that even i can understand(i have never touched a soldering iron).these boards will make high end units at less than half the cost.total parts w/opts.is only$30.00.well i just wanted to thank hamiltoe for this major breakthrough in home brews and sharing it with the rest of us...yall better get one coming...i done sent for my second.

Stever

Reaction score
Tell me about Hamiltoes board I must have been asleep cause I don't remember seeing this.

knothead

Reaction score
stever,
 i belive it is on page 3 of these forums. its the ETCHED CIRCUIT BOARDS post by hamiltoe. he can explain it better. it is a beautifull peice of work.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Stever, i just bumped the thread about Hamitoes board to the top so it would be easier to find.

Gator

Reaction score
I havn't been able to find this board.  If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

coyotehunters

Reaction score
i finished hooking up hamiltoes board tonight and i have adjusted the shutter delay from one side to the other and i cant seam to tell any difference in the function of the camera. can someone explain the use of this function for me.thanks

hamiltoe

Reaction score
The shutter delay controls how long the shutter contact will  be closed.  The camera may take a picture if set at a very low setting, but after the camera has set for a long time, it may take 5-7 seconds before a picture is taken because the flash has to re-charge.  The adjustment is there so other cameras that need a longer/shorter shutter delays can be used.  It's best to leave the pot set to the mid point.  This will give you around a 5 second shutter delay.

hoytshooter

Inactive
Reaction score
Brian,

If I am following this correctly, you have to hook your timer board up to the ms20 sensor?

Hamiltoe,

Is there a way to make your boards work with a digital setup?  I was thinking about ordering some boards from you if I could make that work.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
hoytshooter,
I just finished testing my newest board with the Olympus D-370 this weekend and it works great!  They should work on most cameras digital or 35mm that requires a 3-wire hook-up (shutter/refresh/common), but can't guarantee that it will work on your particular digital camera.  If you hook it up to the D-370 like the posts in this forum, then it will work fine.  My newest board does not turn on or off the cameras, it just keeps them alive, so be careful as to which digital camera you use.  Some require more "juice" than others.

I now offer 2 additional boards.  The CB-2 it just like the original board except it has a refresh pulse.  The pulse has a 1-second duration with an adjustable interval of 6-9 minutes.  Since the D-370 can operate with a refresh of around once per 2 hours or so, it is possible to modify the design to get the longer intervals.   Although, I haven't tried to do this yet.  So far I'm happy with the 6-9 minute interval, but plan on doing more testing to see the battery life difference using the 6-9 minute interval vs. the 2 hour interval.  The CB-3 is the same as the CB-2 but also has a photo cell that allows you to select day/night/24hour.

wvhunter

Reaction score
That sounds great hamiltoe, I hope to start building a digital using the 370 in about a month.  I will interested in seeing how the battery life differs between the 6-9 minute vs the 2 hours refresh.

hoytshooter

Inactive
Reaction score
Hamiltoe,

How much are you going to ask for the boards?  I am going to pick up a d370 this week.  That seems to be a good camera to go with according to all the posts on the board.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
The prices vary depending upon what you want.  I sell the circuit boards alone, kits, or pre-assembled boards.  Check out http://www.fieldpix.com for more info.  I'm still working on creating a parts list for the new boards, but will post it on the website as soon as I get them finished.

gizz

Reaction score
hoytshooter,
Just to clarify on Brian's board, it will work with either the MS20 or the RS PIR. It will also work with 35mm, Canon Elph S100,S200, and the Olympus D-370. You just need to tell Brian what PIR and CAM your using when you order it.
..........Sure hope i got that right!

davered1

Reaction score
Hamiltoe,

If you can lengthen the refresh time on your board for the 370 you probably should do that. With brians board and a 7 minute refresh I could get about 6 days out of NIMH batt's in the 370. Changing it to a 2.5 hr refresh the batteries now last 9-10 days depending of course on how mahy pics it takes.

It is definately worth adding some time, If it isn't too difficult??

hamiltoe

Reaction score
davered1,
The refresh circuit uses 1 capacitor to control both the pulse duration and the interval.  If I increase the capacitor size to lengthen the interval, I also increase the pulse duration.  Of course the pulse duration can be decreased by putting in a smaller resistor for it, but then the current increases.  I could also increase the resistor size that controls the interval, but I would need two 20 MOhm resistors to get a 1.8 hour interval.  I'm not sure how the timing will work when I get in that high of a resistor range.  I just need to experiment and find a happy medium.

(Edited by hamiltoe at 5:27 am on July 17, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
A shorter refresh rate such as Hameltoe's will still work, it just runs the batterys down a little quicker. When Db and I were first working with the D-370s, we both were using Brian's chips with a 7 min refresh. This was before we switched to the 2.5 hr refresh. If you do use a shorter refresh, I would recommend you use a suplimental battery pack such as "C" or "D" cells. These should still give you plenty of life even with a shorter refresh rate.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Hamiltoe,
What are you using to generate your timing??  Sounds sort of like a 555 or 4538 in astable mode.  If so, there should be ways to work around the timing problems.

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 6:08 am on July 17, 2002)

hoytshooter

Inactive
Reaction score
Hamiltoe,

When you get the board for the digital and the day/night mode price figured out let me know.  I am definately interested in yours simply because the pir is mounted right on the board.  Makes a nice complact unit.

hoytshooter

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry Hamiltoe,

I just looked at your website and I see you have the prices on there.  Do you think that the shorter refresh is a problem for battery life?

Top Bottom