Hand Guns

LeeChul

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a hand gun
for a while now but I dread the grey zone of what is or isn't concealed. Maybe some of you guys could help me out.

I'm from Idaho and all I have to do there to get a concealed carry permit is take my Mil. ID to the Sheriffs Office and I can get one, also the same I hear where I'll be going in November, Washington. However a concealed carry permit in Idaho doesn't work for any other state does it?

My question on concealed is, if I have a hand gun in a case (locked/unlocked) under my seat in the truck, is it "concealed." If so, does that mean with out the licence I'd have to leave it out on the seat? What about carrying it around, if it was on my belt but my Carhart jacket slightly covers it, is it "concealed?"

Any help would be appreciated.

Backcountry

Reaction score
This very much depends on what state you are in. Many states have laws quite separate from CCW legislation that cover firearms in vehicles. As we all know, here in the violence free utopia of Kalifornia, loaded guns (even unloaded handguns) in your car are a big no-no.

On the other hand, MANY states let you cruise all over the place with a loaded gun in the car (even evil handguns!)... in can be in the glove box, under a blanky, or in some cases even on your person (as long as you are in the car).

For the specifics of each particular state you are interested in check out;

http://www.packing.org/

...the clearing house for all your concealed carry needs, Nationwide!

Backcountry

Disclaimer: I do not hold a Calif. CCW permit, but I do hold Florida, Washington, and Utah permits. Through the miracle of reciprocity and/or recognition I'm legal to transport and/or carry firearms (on my person) as I see fit in (last time I checked) twenty-six states. If for no other reason, if you travel and/or hunt outside of this miserable political cesspool (i.e., Kalifornia), get one or more CCW permits as that can keep you from getting jacked up for a firearms violation in a petty traffic stop. Many states are a breeze if you're not a criminal and are a veteran.

Backcountry

Reaction score
From the http://www.packing.org website, your Idaho permit is good in fifteen other states if you're are a resident of Idaho. Make darn sure, and I mean damn sure, that you know the specific regulations for carrying a concealed weapon for any of the states that have reciprocity or recognition with Idaho. When you carry a concealed weapon in a particular state using another state's permit, you are subject to the laws of the state you are carrying in, NOT the laws of the state which your permit was issued in. This is a BIG DEAL. Different states have different places that are off limits to CCW, different weapon requirments (or none at all, like Florida... gotta love Florida!), etc...

So, check out http://www.packing.org/ and feel free to ask questions there... those guys were a huge help at getting my Washington and Utah permits. The Florida permit is one I would recommend for everybody, since it's good in 24 states, it's good for five years, it's all done through the mail, and it has no training requirement (if you're a veteran or have some other firearms training background). Washington is the same story, but you have to apply in person. Utah requires you to take a class from an "approved Utah instructor" but that only takes about 6 hours and there are guys in most states that give that class.

Backcountry

LeeChul

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. Next time I'm in Idaho I'll definitely pick up my permit, and I'll see about getting that Florida one. Now just one thing left, finding a hand gun. Hmmm "Desert Eagle .44?" ".45?" the all time favorite .357? I think I may have fun with this one.

Again thanks.

huntducks

Reaction score
If you plan on carrying concealed you best think light and tight, packing some big bertha is not always the way to go, it get real heavy and bulky after a few trips out.

harrygunner

Reaction score
I noticed your location is Texas. You may want to get
a Texas concealed carry permit which is honored in Idaho.
Then, you can carry at home as well as Idaho and sixteen
other states as listed on packing.org. Unfortunately, you
will have to travel to Washington to get a permit there.

After carrying for nearly nine years, my definition of
concealed is "people standing around me don't know I
have a gun".

I carry daily in California. No one has fainted while looking at
me yet. I've carried a 1911-A1 regularly as well as other firearms
in this state without scaring a single sheep.

One can achieve that after experimenting with good holsters and
clothing. I wore a Polo shirt to my business today with a
Sig 229 on my waist. None of my employees know I carry in spite
of regular exposure to me at work.

When I'm in Arizona or Virginia, that allow open carry, I stay
with my regular habits to maximize my options since bad guys
don't know I have a gun.

You may want to keep the firearm on you in a car since you pick up a new
level of responsibility with a CCW permit or license. That act
will keep you and passengers out of trouble. For example, in Arizona,
one can keep a loaded firearm under the seat with a CCW, but, if
you leave the car while a passenger remains, the passenger is
subject to arrest if that passenger does not have a CCW. That's probably
a common "gotcha".

I have a California, Florida and Utah permit allowing me to carry in
about 28 states. I refresh myself on the laws of the state I'm
going to, usually on business, to make sure I understand what to do while there.

Enjoy.

LeeChul

Reaction score
Thanks for the info harry, While I am in Texas now, It's only temporary, I'll be heading to Tacoma Wa. in Nov. My home state is Idaho.

Top Bottom