Happy Easter

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Happy Easter ebberbody. A bunch of good eggs here on the forum.

My first recollection of Easter was putting on my new suit, complete with bow tie, that mom bought and then going out and getting all muddy before church. The lickin I got that morning made quite an impression on my still forming brain. Next year I sat on the screen porch like a wounded dog while my cousins tried to lure me out to get dirty again. It was like torture, you couldn't even risk eatin a sno cone or ice cream cone lest it dribble on your shirt, markin you for certain death. Even the aunts were authorized to unleash the punishment for any of us kids acting up on Easter.

Church was awash in pink and blue from all the pretty dresses the wimmens wore. The sermon was usually long and us kids squirmed and wriggled like earthworms to go outside and play. Thank goodness Easter was in March, it would have been unbareble in the summer's stifling humidity of Iowa. Even after church you had to be careful, you could take off the tie to run around but you'd better not rip the pants or get grass stains in your clothes.

They usually had an Easter egg hunt at the local park, Weed Park it was called. The bigger kids got most of the eggs and the little kids always had that goofy look on their face after someone strong armed them for all their eggs in their basket. We would hide and try and see where they hid the golden egg, which was good for a new bike, but we always got caught. If you ran straight to the golden egg they DQed you since it was obvious you cheated and peeked.

Then some of the kids would go into sugar shock from eating all their candy. They looked like rubber balls bouncing off all the walls and yammerin away non stop.

What was Easter like when you were a kid?

Common Sense

Reaction score
I remember coloring the eggs ahead of time more than the day itself.

inchr48

Reaction score
We always got to look for the eggs that we colored, and our baskets were hidden. The basket would have the usual candy with a big chocolate bunny. It would also have a gift of some kind. I remember when I got the "official" Boy Scout flashlight one year. My grin was bigger than the one on that chocolate rabbit.

No baskets hid this year (we don't have kids), but have enjoyed the day.

My wife and I both busted some clay birds with our new 20 ga's. Was in the low 40's and not as windy as the last couple days.

Got the hams smoking from a pig we cut up a month ago. The bacon (really great), and hocks have been smoked and frozen.

Leg of lamb in the oven is smelling pretty good. Cucumber, tomato, and onion salad and some rice pilaf with mushrooms and green onions will round it out. Now for picking a good red wine..........

Hope you all enjoy your Holiday!

[attachment=50594:HappyEaster.jpg]

Attachments

bobcatman04

Reaction score
Dressing up to the hilt for church, then going to Big mama, and Big Papa's to hunt eggs with all my 50 cousins. I was always the small fry, so mom made my big brothers share the eggs they found. They always resented me for that, still do I think.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
We flew out last year to So Cal to visit old friends, and One Track invited us out to his family's annual East egg hunt. It was amazing. They have 3 or 4 acres and there were hundreds of eggs hidden everywhere. Kids were zinging around, all hopped up on Cadbury's and you could hear non-stop laughter. It was a site. All the eggs had great prizes in them...$1, $2. Lil Buck-eye ended up with the least amount of eggs as Brent's girls definitely had a leg up. Seems they had a feel for where G'pap liked to hide eggs. BUT, in his last egg- Lil Buck-eye hit the mother lode. It was a $100 gift certificate. We ate like kings and had a blast, even with us not knowing more than half the folks.
Growing up, our Easter's were okay, but you can tell the OT's family has a sense of how to live life at its fullest. At their house it starts with family.

Hartseeker

Reaction score
But seriously, I don't have very good memories of Easter for some reason...

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom