Happy with Etrex screen size?

ToledoBend

Reaction score
For those of you who have a Garmin Etrex, are you happy with the screen size?  I am trying to decide whether to get a Garmin Etrex ( probably the Legend)or a Garmin GPSMAP 76.  If you have a 76, are you happy with the size of the total unit, or do you think you would have been happier with the more compact Etrex even though the screen is smaller?

Kayaker

Reaction score
I looked at both the etrex Legend and the GPSMAP 76.  I went with the GPSMAP 76 for the following reasons:

1.) Larger screen size.  Although the GPSMAP 76 has fewer pixels, you can see them all!  The larger screen is useful when using it in a vehicle (or if you are over 40).
2.) The GPSMAP 76 appears to be constructed better.  I know the Legend is supposed to look cool, but IMHO it looks and feels like a toy (a $250 toy!)
3.) Front controls, that are clearly labelled.  It is much more intuitive and easy to operate, again IMHO.
4.) External antenna connector.  Although after using the unit, I doubt I will ever need it.  I gets great reception in a vehicle and maintains satellite lock when mounted in a case on my belt.
5.) It FLOATS!
6.) It has configurable screens.  You can setup user selectable data fields on various pages.
7.) The internal antenna design allows the GPSMAP 76 to be operated vertically vs horizontal for the Legend

I was disappointed with the detail of the basemap, but it is the same as the Legend.

The GPSMAP 76 is larger (about the size of a handheld calculator), but still fits easily in a pocket.  It is also more expensive.

I recommend you find a shop (such as West Marine) where you can try both.

ToledoBend

Reaction score
Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Anyone else have any opinions?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Toledo,

I've been using a Garmin III+ for the past 2 years and one of the things I really like about it is the bigger display. 2.2" W x 1.5" H inches (5.6 x 3.8 cm) switchable orientation for horizontal or vertical use, (100 x 160 pixels with 4 levels of gray scale). eTrex display is 2.1"H x 1.1"W (5.4 x 2.7 cm) 160 x 288 pixels

I use the map a lot when I drive in my truck scouting and wish the display was was even bigger. I agree with Kayaker, the basemap is okay and could be better. It sure beats folding a paper map at 70 mph while dodging semis.

Lots of people have raved about the eTrex. Only complaint I have seen is the small display.

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
I'm using an external antenna with Garmin76 when under the forest canopy. The antenna will amplify weak satellite signals and improve position accuracy. The 76 will fit in my shirt pocket. The screen and buttons are well lighted allowing ease of use in low light conditions. This is a Marine unit that includes tide tables,sun and moon data, and navigation aids. The Garmin map76 has nautical charts, topo maps(1:100K), and road maps available.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jindydiver Campfire 4
C Hog & Javelina Hunting 0
dustin ray Campfire 3
P304X4 Campfire 2
dthome Campfire 4

Advertisement

Top Bottom