Has anyone done any scouting?

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
After the great rainfall we just had here in So. Cal. I was wondering if anyone has gone out to do some scouting?

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
I'll be flying outta Brackett Airport on Sat 4/5/03 to scout by air and record GPS numbers in the high desert on poss. new locals that show the same basic configerations as my honey holes. Were gonna be looking at lots of areas from Pinion Hills to Barstow to Apple Valley and back down to the N.E end of the Silverwood area. Will get back up there again by truck within the following few weeks to call, track & spot. I'll report what my evaulation is for the upcoming season there after. Laters and good scouting..........

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Most of the quail are going to be paired up so you may not see to many. The high desert has had good rain SO FAR, we still need more, LOT's of grass growing. A few good showers in April and May should bring in the bugs needed for the chicks so keep your fingers crossed.

Larry

docramo

Reaction score
Out in Mojave area about 10 days ago for a look with the dune buggy and the hills were in awesome display.... bloomed up and the insects were everywhere.

Should have a great hatch this season and more rain is in the forecast for this weekend.
Red Mtn. area wasin bloom.
Great time to go to the desert now,to see the wild flowers on display!

Mt Goat

Reaction score
It is nice LOTS of flowers. Its good new about the rain forcast for this weeked docramo I hope it pans out, the ground still needs it.

Larry

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
By the looks of things it looks like this year is going to be a good year. Lets keep are fingures crossed for some more rain.

MapMan

Reaction score
Docramo, I know what you mean. The desert is green and full of flowers and insects, and the guzzlers are full of water. The hills are a velvet green with patches of wildflowers in shades of purple, yellow, red and white randomly spred around like someone spilled paint. I would still like to do a Chukar hunt with you this coming season..........

Last Saturday we drove out Johnson Valley road all the way from the 15 to the 247. Looked at 4 guzzlers in that stretch and they were all completely full of water. Saw and heard no Quail or Chukar but quite a few doves flying around.

We also checked out Goat mountain area as well. Never been there before. Goat spring had water as did the stock tank. Saw some doves and some range cattle there but no Quail or Chukar signs. Found 2 more guzzlers nearby on the west side of the 247. Did not see or hear any Quail or Chukar in this area but they are around....... have a couple more spots to check out in that area as well as some in the Ord Mountains. I also want to look at some springs and guzzlers in back of Big Bear between Big pine Flat and Luna Mountain area.

Hope it is a better year......Keep up the rain Dancin' everyone.

MapMan

gasdocwannabe

Reaction score
I saw about a half dozen quail strutting around during my quest for turkeys in the Barton Flats area.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Mapman are you talking about the Goat Mountain just north of Reche Road outside of Landers?

MapMan

Reaction score
Karstic,
I think Landers is east of Lucerne Valley out towards 29 Palms/Yucca Valley area. There may be a Goat Mountain out that way however the Goat Mountain I went to is between Lucerne Valley and Barstow, out in the Ord Mountains. Hope that clarifies things....

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
Scouting???? ME?????
Didn't have to.....
Sunday morning... I awoke to the sounds of a group right outside my back door.... literally woke me up. Grabed a cup of coffee... sat at the breakfast table with my paper.... and watched a clutch of of 20 or so 2-3 week olds follow their mommas around picking up the left overs from my bird feeder.
Karstic will be happy to know his work in the hills behind my house are paying off big time!!

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Essposse,

So I take it that the first JHP event of the Fall will be doing some quail huntin' in your backyard.

JesterSoCalifa

Reaction score
Mt Goat, I check on the rainfall totals in the high desert areas on a website called the California Schools Weather Network but would like to hear what your seeing. Phelan is showing .25-.38 inches of rain as of 6:15pm today and like Victorville is showing almost a inch. Hows it looking to you?
I was unable to get in the air last Sat morning for my air scouting trip. The weather was not condusive to spotting new sites in the air and my LAPD buddy that owns the plane got called out to something at like 2am that morning. Don't look like this weekend will pan out either if the weather man is right about this next storm coming in on thur and into fri. All the same I hope it puts more rain on the ground in the high desert. Will continue to pray to the rain gods for more rain as spring/late winter conditions still happen.

docramo

Reaction score
Out to stateline for a race on Sat. The desert looked good there also, but not as nice as around Mojave.This rain should reach there...I hope it doesn't hurt any of the local hatchlings. They are real suseptable to the rain and cold in the first few weeks of life.
Overal this rain is awesome for the next bird season.

ESSposse

Banned
Reaction score
QBN...
Yeah.... I can see it now..... a bunch of my hunting buddies sitting in my den..... my wife cooking up an awesome breakfast for everyone.... all of us heading out my back door... coming back with limits..... handing them off to my wife for cleaning.... and sitting back on my couch sipping suds and watching football.....
Hmmmmmmm.... maybe we should have a fantasy forum in here.....
Maybe I can talk her into cleaning the birds in a thong... even after squeezing out a couple of puppies.... Ms. March '87 still has a great figure.

Mt Goat

Reaction score
JesterSoCalifa

I was sleeping until about 1:00 (working graves this week) when I got up it was raining pretty good, and rained none stop, and even started to snow up until at least 10:00 pm when I last talked to my wife. When I left for work at 4:30 my yard was completely flooded and the roads were completely flooded too. I would think my part of Phelan got at least 1 1/2 - 2 inches. In Victorville it rained good until about 11:00 then it rained on and off after that until about 0300 or so.

It definity was a good rain at the right time. The weeds in the desert around my place are up to about a foot and ahalf and full of flowers and the grass is coming in good too so this will just boost everything along there havent been alot of bugs yet but I'm starting to see the butterflys. I'm expecting to see some chicks within the next week or so.

Larry

Top Bottom