Hat Creek and Pit River Report

Orygun

Reaction score
Spent a week camping at Hat CReek. DFG came by twice over the week and dumped fish into Hat Creek. Not many fish were stocked in the camp. The two places they did place fish had people on them from sunup to sundown. Hat Creek is running strong and thesnow melt is evident in the very cold water temps.

My dad and I did well on smaller bows, brookies, amnd browns in the pools between the popular spots. Small spinners did the trick.

We tried the Pit River one afternoon. We found pods of trout hear and there along the PG&E access areas. We caught and had bites on jigs, micro jigs, spinners (black, white, silver, copper, and brass), spoons, kastmasters, krocodiles. Everything drew a strike or two and then nothing. We scratched limits over a few hours. Fish were 1/3 pound to a an honest 1.5 lb bow that took a dead drifted hair's ear nymph.

A couple very large trout were spotted cruising the river interesetd in nothing we had to offer. Biggest fish was a squiawfish that went an easy 3 lbs that inhaled a black leech. First time to that part of the state. Pretty area.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
pit river is my favorite river of all time!!! what section of the pit did you fish?

Orygun

Reaction score
Just by the Post Office at Cassel.

Cassel #1 I think the spot was called on the map. It was the last afternoon of the trip and we ran out of time to explore. Wouldn't mind going back if I had the time, I would like to see more of that river. If I do I'll have the fly rod, even if it's just for dragging wooly worms and nymphs.

Course I've been in OR over 12 years now and there are still thousands of ,miles if river and creeks I ain't even seen, let alone fished.

bodega

Reaction score
I was up there a week ago to fish the Pit, Hat and Fall River. The hex are working their way up the Fall and the 4th of July weekend should be good.

Access to the Pit 3 to 5 stretch will be closed from July 6 until December for construction of a new hydroelectric plant, so the holiday weekend will be your last chance this year to fish that stretch. Huge bummer.

BarneyFlats

Reaction score
Love camping there in Cassel we have been doing it for ever. A buddy was there probablly the same time as Orygun and absolutely killed em, of course I couldn't make it and he let me know all about it! Beautiful country and can't wait to go again next year

Latest Posts

Top Bottom