Have a A19/X10 tag this year, any information will be appreciated

WLD

Reaction score
As an experienced hunter, hunting D14, or Los Padres NF, and live in D11. I was fortunate enough to obtain an Archery A19 tag. I am thinking the North Eastern section of the zone. And as I am not that familiar with the zone, any information would be great. I don't expect you to give me your secret spot. But any good info is better than no information. I am hoping to go to areas with as least amount hunting pressure as possible. And plan on back packing in. Also there seems to be a desert dirt road to glass around, but am thinking that the hunting pressure will be greatest there.
Thanks in advance for any advice, counsel or suggestions

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
I don't know. But since we're asking questions:

I have an A31 tag this year (LA county in D11). I've only ever hunted D14. Any advice for me?

Reactions: WLD

WLD

Reaction score
I don't know. But since we're asking questions:

I have an A31 tag this year (LA county in D11). I've only ever hunted D14. Any advice for me?
A31, tag, the deer have a lot of hunter pressure.
It is one of the toughest places in California to hunt. And the success rate is extremely inflated.
With that said, there is no substitute for scouting. However, I can save you a few days, hours and miles.
1st, avoid Cabin Flats down in Prairie Forks, there are so many bear down there that a deer would not survive long in that area.
2nd, The deer go high in the morning and low for water in the evening, so find the routes they are taking and set up an ambush.
Pay attention to the acorns becoming ripe.
3rd, early season go high, later season go low.
All the gates to the roads get locked at the first good snow.
4th, The biggest bucks are around Pine Mountain and around the Blue Ridge Trail. But it is a very tough trail, and even tougher to get a buck out of there.
5th When rifle season begins there will be more hunters than black flies for a week. The deer will immediately go nocturnal.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I will help if I can.

Sammy108

Reaction score
Hey there. I’ve also drawn an X10 Archery Tag. Very new to California hunting as most of my experience comes from Hawaii. If you’d like to work together I’d be happy to do so. I’ll be heading up Sunday-Monday to do some looking around

Reactions: WLD

WLD

Reaction score
Hey there. I’ve also drawn an X10 Archery Tag. Very new to California hunting as most of my experience comes from Hawaii. If you’d like to work together I’d be happy to do so. I’ll be heading up Sunday-Monday to do some looking around
I am up here now scouting from Thursday, Friday and leaving Saturday.
I am checked around Olancha Pass today, and tomorrow I will be scouting south of horseshoe meadows. Not sure of the direction yet, but may head over Cottonwood Pass and travel south west across the PCT.
Let's collaborate and maybe hook up. There are only a few short weeks left before the season begins, so for me the clock is ticking fast.

WrstQuailHntr

Reaction score
A31, tag, the deer have a lot of hunter pressure.
It is one of the toughest places in California to hunt. And the success rate is extremely inflated.
With that said, there is no substitute for scouting. However, I can save you a few days, hours and miles.
1st, avoid Cabin Flats down in Prairie Forks, there are so many bear down there that a deer would not survive long in that area.
2nd, The deer go high in the morning and low for water in the evening, so find the routes they are taking and set up an ambush.
Pay attention to the acorns becoming ripe.
3rd, early season go high, later season go low.
All the gates to the roads get locked at the first good snow.
4th, The biggest bucks are around Pine Mountain and around the Blue Ridge Trail. But it is a very tough trail, and even tougher to get a buck out of there.
5th When rifle season begins there will be more hunters than black flies for a week. The deer will immediately go nocturnal.

If you have any specific questions just ask and I will help if I can.
Yes that area is certainly steep as hell. Went there a couple weeks back and camped with my two boys on our first overnight backpack trip (more of a small hike with backpacks and a tent lol). I look forward to hunting the late season after the pressure has been gone for a few weeks.

Sammy108

Reaction score
I am up here now scouting from Thursday, Friday and leaving Saturday.
I am checked around Olancha Pass today, and tomorrow I will be scouting south of horseshoe meadows. Not sure of the direction yet, but may head over Cottonwood Pass and travel south west across the PCT.
Let's collaborate and maybe hook up. There are only a few short weeks left before the season begins, so for me the clock is ticking fast.
How was the rest of your scouting? I went up in the general direction as you. Saw very old tracks and that was about it. Packed in west a ways and found very promising looking areas with no sign. My buddy did the same a bit south and didn’t see much either.

Top Bottom