Have to have a timer on the OWL-PF ?

LAKOTA

Reaction score
I'm about to finish my first cam using the OWL-PF.
What will happen if I do not add a timer?

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Depending on how you modified the sensor, and what sensor you used, you will get a picture app. every 15 sec. (using the rs-49-425, hooked up using pin 2 of the large I.C, and the switch set to chime) You DO NOT need a timer with the Owl PF, it is strictly an option, lot's of guys use the basic setup with great success! The camera will not "shut down" if you do not use the timer, it will basically just snap a picture every time the sensor is tripped (slight delay between pic's). Try your setup as is, and the more you use it, you can always go back and add a timer later on.  Good luck to you.

passgas55

Reaction score
I have one owl pf with ms20 set on test and no timer looking down a game trail and it works good. However I have one owl pf with ms20 set on auto and a oneshot timer looking at a feeder. It works good also. It all depends on how you are planning on using the cam .

TmKarren

Reaction score
What are you saying ArkansasElkHunter??  That you may need a refresh??  Out of all my pictures I only have a tail on one picture.  I use mine without a timer.  But like they say if you put them on a bait pile.  You'll need a timer.  I won't have that problem.  If your cought feeding deer in Wisconsin. Your looking at a $2,000 fine..

davered1

Reaction score
AEH is saying that if you leave your PF turned on for  a day or 2 without refreshing it they can(depending on camera,all vary a bit) take up to 7 seconds to recharge flash enough to take a picture.

They can take anywhere from 3 seconds to 7 seconds.1 way around this is leaving more fresnal lense exposed triggering camera sooner,giving animal time to get close before pic goes off.

Timers are a LUXORY!! thats it you don't NEED one. if you are setting up on a feeder just go from trail to trail all around feeder instead of pointing directly at it.

OldBuck

Reaction score
Ok, as a new deercam builder...

As using the timer to delay pictures is somtimes needed to prevent a flurry of pictures when the IR detector is triggered, does the camera need a "double trigger" in order to set the focus then trigger the shutter?? (I came across the schematics for a cascade timer using a 556 chip instead of a single timer)

I looked around and I couldn't find anyone addressing the autofocus or for that matter the "anti red-eye" feature of the Owl date PF (which is the camera I will be using) . I am interested in getting the best quality pic's that I can.

With focus in mind and timers, how about using two timer circuits, one to delay the camera which in turn triggers a dual cascade timer to activate the focus then trips the shutter. Or am I just off base with the autofocus issue???

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi OldBuck,
I had written up a little cascaded timer schematic to do just what you describe (maybe the one you found??). I tried it out and noticed no difference in pic quality. I think the cam does the AF sensing so fast that you don't need any delay added.

If you don't like the red-eye indicator, just disconnect it.

OldBuck

Reaction score
Ok, I noticed that no one really mentioning the autofocus issue so i guess I will not worry about it right now. I may just try not using a timer at first and make that mod to the RS detector to change r11 to increase the time delay.

I ordered a timer from hobbytron.com - Got a single 555 timer kit with relay for $8.90 as I found a coupon code for $2 off, it should be in next week I hope.

the cascade timer schematic I found was in a old radio shack mini-engineer notebook I had laying around. It's only for the actual timer, I assume I should add a relay to actually switch the actual camera shutter. it basicly allow the first trigger to occur and then trips the second; when the first trigger ends the second begins which I wasn't sure if that would be enough for the AF to complete and not reset

Latest Posts

Top Bottom