• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Have You Been Through A State or Government

Have You Been Through A State or Government

• No, I was/am in the miltary and hunter safety was waived

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I would like to attend a class

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Let's try the poll again, I wanted to add the choices I missed and amend 2 other choices.

Have You Been Through A State or Government Hunter Safety Class?

If you did go to a hunter safety class, how long was it and did you learn anything?

I went about 6 years ago even though I didn't need the training to get my California state hunting license. I took a friend's boy who's father wasn't around much and we both learned a bunch. I got 99 out of 100 in my test and he had 75 if I remember right. I missed the pic question on which birds were legal to watefowl hunt. It was a last minute decision on his part to go and I had 2 weeks to cram it all in his head with no previous training. His mom and I were proud of him passing.

We took the class at the Riverside Sheriff building in Riverside Ca. It lasted all Saturday with a break for lunch. The class was interesting except for one old guy that stood up once in ahwile and would ramble and lose everyone.

MarinePMI

As previously stated, I was active duty military and hunter's safety was waived. However, now that I think about it, I was a Boy Scout as a youth and back then hunter's safety was standard thing you received. My how things have changed...

P.S. Picked up a new Boy Scout manual a few years back because I forgot how to do an eye spilce on rope. I was amazed/disappointed that they had removed all the hunter safety, animal skinning and snares from the book. A shame to say the least, as that's where my fondness (as well as a love for Jim Bridger and Davy Crockett) for the outdoors was born...

Speckmisser

I went through Hunter Safety every year for two or three years at Boy Scout Camp. Only went because that and the marksmanship range were where the guns were... and if there were guns, there was me.

Hunter safety wasn't required back then, so I technically grandfather out of the requirement anyway, but I was sure proud of those patches. I learned a bit each time, I'm sure, but nothing stuck as well as what my daddy taught me way before I even held a gun.

Gus

I took the class in my high school FFA class. There was about 15 people in the class and we all had been shooting guns since we were knee high to a grasshopper. I guess that is what you do for fun when you grow up in the country.

Big Al

I was 12. The year was 1963. My dad took me.We shot 22 s in the basement at the sheriffs office/jail after class. One of the good times.

fpscabs

I took the course with my almost 10 year old son last January for a second time. 1st time was in Colorado in 1983. I will take the course again with my second son within the next 7 months (before he turns ten- Lifetime hunting and fishing license goes from $600 to $1000 after 10) I will get one more question wrong than he does. I still don't hear the end from my oldest son about that

MBullism

I was never in the scouts, the military, etc and my father did not get me started. He used to hunt as a kid but gave it up in his early twenties. The hunter safety course was not a requirement for a license back when I started. I pretty much "learned while I earned". The safety part to me was common sense and a deep respect for the power of a firearm (or bow for that matter). I've hunted with course graduates that made me nervous. The ethics part I can thank my parents for. No matter what you do there is a right way and a wrong way. It carries over.

Way back when, a buddy of mine and I had sort of a game where we would try and catch the other pulling a no no (leaning a gun, inadvertently sweeping the muzzle past an unsafe direction, etc.) The number of times you got caught translated into the number of rounds you bought the next pub stop. We didn't got caught often, I can tell you that.

<<edit>>

I do, however, think the hunter safety program is a great program. You can bet I'll be taking my kids...

jmabbott888

I took the hunters course in NC back in 1986. We had to take it to be on the high school shooting team, then I moved to California the next year & got my licence here. I took the firearms course in bootcamp but in the Navy all you get is the 1911 with a 22 kit on it lol. I want to take my oldest down for the course but he can't read that good yet so I'll probably have to wait till he is a bit older (6 years old)

Passthru

Banned
its not required for me at my age, but i Took the class Years ago,seems like it was 3 days,3 hours a day,its a good thing i took it way back then, you have to have a hunter safety card to go out of state to hunt.

mustystubs

Funny you should bring this up; I just e-mailed a friend reminding him that we graduated from the Hunter Safety Course and got our California Hunting Lincenses 39 years ago on November 23, 1963. (He was amazed I remembered). That was one day after President Kennedy was gunned down in Dallas.

We immediately took our graduation certificates and went to Pratt Brothers Sporting Goods in Redlands, and bought our licenses. We then went straight home, grabbed some .22s and went hunting. Two of us were 12 the other was 11.

It's amazing what parents trusted their kids to do back then. As sad a time as that was, we got Monday off because of the President's funeral and guess what, we went hunting.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Musty,

I used to play roller hockey with one of the Pratt's. He closed the store down a few years ago and move to Utah I believe it was.

All,

one of the biggest shockers for me in hunter safety was the age group with the most accidents. I guessed it was teens, since they have a bad record driving also. Nope, it was the 35 to 50 age range. My age group. At first it didn't make sense but after reading the reasons that most have never been to a hunter safety and we are set in our ways it made sense. Many older hunters I've met are terrible with their gun handling and you're in for a rude reply if you dare point out their mistakes.

When JFK was shot I was playing with my rubber baseball on the steps at home and couldn't figure out why my mom came a got me and plopped me in front of the TV. I wanted to play and didn't have a clue why she was crying. I soon found out.

DB Bill

I learned to shoot at an early age under the instruction of my Dad (pre 1950) and went on to more formal instruction in the Police Athletic League, in an NRA-sponsored marksmanship program and then into competitive small-bore shooting. Shot small-bore, then center-fire matches and after I joined the USAF, the service-rifle and after a knee injury stopped position shooting.....International Trap where I got to travel and shoot.

I took the time to become an instructor and taught many young people and women how to handle and shoot rifles, shotguns (and a little with pistols although I've always been an average or below pistol shot) plus taught quite a few Hunter Safety Courses over the years.

Here's the kicker...when I moved to California after I retired from the USAF I found that I didn't have a Hunter Safety Certificate and even though I was a qualified instructor (per the NRA) I had to go to class in California.

karstic

Banned
I took the CA state class about 91 or 92. The instructor was an LAPD officer and he a bunch of forensic photos that he used in the class. Nothing too gruesome but they sure made an impression on me. I've thought of retaking the course because I have heard it has change some to include more info on the conservation side of hunting.

QALHNTR

I took my class back in '87 with my dad. He beat me by one point. He never wanted to hunt - just share time with me. It wasn't too long back then. Three years ago, I went with my daughter. 11 hours later we emerged with a certificate. While some of the topics are definitely over the heads of youngsters, I think the extremely long day plays more havic with test scores. We had another 7 - 10 kids in our class and they were starting to yawn around 3PM. With all of the great days afield with my daughter, I can't wait to attend my next all-day class with my son!

ToddP

Banned
I took the Hunter Ed class when I was 12, as required by PA to obtain a license. That's been over 20 yrs ago. More recently I took the class again so as part of the requirement to become a Hunter Ed Instructor. The class is 1.5 days long.

I have also taken the Bow Hunter Ed class, which is not requried in PA, and have also become an instructor for it as well. It too is 1.5 days long but may be shorted with some "homework" required to be complete before the class starts.

Todd

doghouse95

My dad was an instructor in the 60's, and I have set in many of his classes. I took the class
for real when I was 11, then again when my oldest daughter was 11, and again when my
youngest daughter was 11. I have a 7 year old son, and I will take the class again when he
is 11.
It kind of surprised me to see that many fathers taking the class over again with their
children.
Way to go guys.....

traxman

I took the Hunter's Safety course at South Coast Gun Club when I turned twelve yearsold. That was in 1988. (I'm still a young buck
)

It was a great experience, and I would do it again. I had a buddy who had never hunted before go through it last year. He learned alot, and reminded me of some things I had forgotten/ignored the first time we were in the field.

I look forward to going through it again with my children. (When I have Children)

Nate

MrRee

Inactive
I have been hunting for 50 years now, Do I need it?
My son was just over the requirement age, but what I tried to teach him had to come the hard way. He tried to shoot the snow out of the barrel of a 20ga shotgun. No amount of my talking sunk in like that lesson.

I think even an old fart like me may take things for granted. We should ace the test, but what would it hurt if we got a reminder? We could just do it for our ego, but then even if we pass with 100% It only takes 1 time that we are careless or forget,

I do not think it should me manditory for someone like myself, but I dont think it would hurt me unless it was another way to tap my wallet in order to get a hunting license

bigtroutbane

I took the Hunters Education Class through Turners in 1994 when my soon to be father-in-law said I had to learn how to shoot some birds if I was gonna be a part of the family. I've introduced two others to hunting and the class and this year as a Christmas gift I paid for my brother-in-law to go to the class so he can hunt with us.

bigtroutbane

Top Bottom