• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Having issues with boresighting

Toua70

I just got my laser boresight kit in the mail today. I tried to boresight my .30-06 at about 50 yards but I've run out of elevation adjustments. I also have high mounting rings opposed to having it low because it's more comfortable for me when looking down the scope. The scope that is mounted on my rifle is a BSA Majestic Dx 6-24x44 and is about a year old and practically still new. Does anyone have a solution other than replacing for low mounting rings? The boresight shows it centered but is about 3 clicks to make it centered. The laser is just below the middle of my crosshair and it's driving me nuts. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

freezer

I really don't understand what your saying here. Try it this way.

Remove the bolt from your gun.

Set your rifle in a rest at the 50 yard range and center it on the target looking through the bore.

Adjust your scope cross hairs to the center of the target.

Replace your bolt and load a round.

Fire that round.

Set your cross hairs on the center of the target again then adjust the scope so the cross hair is where the bullet hit.

Fire another round. Repeat the process till your in the X ring.

Now check your bore sighter!

Most rifles can be sighted in five rounds this way.

A bore sighter may get you on the paper, that's all.

Last edited:

solus

I never sight in at 50 yards. I always sight in at 100 or 200 depending on the range of the rifle. The further out you sight it in the less you have to adjust elevation. With that being said... It can be one of four things I can think of. Scope not level on the rifle, bad mounts, bad scope or bad laser. good luck

eoats

Maybe have shim the scope/mounts?

I agree sighting in is best done at the range.

My 30-06 had the scope mounted & 'bore-sighted' at the store where I got it wouldn't even get on paper. Then I made the mistake of changing the windage AND the point of aim... Anyway took it back and once again they tried to get it lined up in the shop. Still didn't touch the paper so then I aimed to the Right saw a hole in the Left edge gave the windage a 180 turn and then started getting down to fine tuning it. Of course that was with the cheap ammo. Now with the nice copper loads I'm finding that my Vanguard likes the heavier bullet; 180gr seems to give me much tighter groups 2" while the 150gr are spread out to 4 or 5 inches in five shots.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Freezer has my method; I rarely use more than 3-4 rounds on a new setup before I have to go to my load of choice; and THAT may take days. I don't see the hype in the laser; a projectile follows an arced path, the laser is looking straight. As such, it just doesn't work the way they want you to think it does when you buy it.

I use a Harris bipod and take the bolt out. For the few automatics I've done, I use a large piece of cardboard at 25 yards to "find" it and move my windage and elevation by a factor of 4X to get it where I want it. Automatics take more than 3-5 rounds to sight it, but I've seen people burn 10-12 after the laser sighting stuff, no matter what they're shooting. It's too simple the old way.

myfriendis410

I agree with Belch: I've boresighted 20 rifles over the last few years using the mark one eyeball detector and every one was on paper at 100 yards. And, not a LARGE piece of paper either.

Toua70

Thanks guys. I got a boresight kit because the only range that allows me to shoot my rifle is about an hour away. I boresighted it at approximately 50 yards in my backyard - I just wanted to "get it on paper" or close to it so I don't waste my time when I go out. Might be heading out this wknd to do some predator hunting so maybe I'll sight it in the desert (with all precautions taken of course)

Toua70

I got it from Cabelas. It's a cabelas brand. I was going to get the bushnell one but the product rating wasn't so great and Cabela's boresight kit had good ratings.

JustGuy

Banned
Try to see if it is true to the bore. wile your rifle is firmly held in the vise 10-20 feet from a wall, put it in to the muzzle, turn on and spin. See if the laser mark stays on the same spot it is good, if it makes a circle, it is out of tuning. This might be your problem.
The good ones are Site Light SL-100 or 150 for initial sight in to get you on paper and Leupold Zero Point to record your sighting, so, you never need to resght your rifle again even if you pot a new scope on a rifle.. I use both of them for more than 5 yars now. Grat staff

Toua70

Try to see if it is true to the bore. wile your rifle is firmly held in the vise 10-20 feet from a wall, put it in to the muzzle, turn on and spin. See if the laser mark stays on the same spot it is good, if it makes a circle, it is out of tuning. This might be your problem.
The good ones are Site Light SL-100 or 150 for initial sight in to get you on paper and Leupold Zero Point to record your sighting, so, you never need to resght your rifle again even if you pot a new scope on a rifle.. I use both of them for more than 5 yars now. Grat staff
thanks for the tip. I'll try that

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Those Cabelas Laser Boresight Kit can be a failure. When inserted into the muzzle, you have no way of telling if it's inline with the chamber. A slight tilt and you are way off target. I say return that kit and get a Sightmark Laser Chamber Boresighter. That's like a cartridge sitting tight in the chamber with the beam through the barrel.

Toua70

Those Cabelas Laser Boresight Kit can be a failure. When inserted into the muzzle, you have no way of telling if it's inline with the chamber. A slight tilt and you are way off target. I say return that kit and get a Sightmark Laser Chamber Boresighter. That's like a cartridge sitting tight in the chamber with the beam through the barrel.
Okay, well, turns out, Im just an idiot haha. I was using a smaller attachment so it wasn't holding the boresighter firmly when inserted into the barrel. It the first time I had tried to use the appropriate size attachment, it didn't fit and that was my fault but I gave it another go and it slipped right in and turns out, my elevation adjustment was way off. I had to go down quite a ways (since I ran out of elevation adjusting up) so it's all good now. Thanks guys.

JustGuy

Banned
Sure you can tell if it is inline or not, and it does not have to be inline with the chamber. It has to be inline with the bore. just spin it in the barrel and you will see if it in true line with the barrel or not. See my previous message for explanations. Sightmark Laser Chamber Boresighter the same way can be off very well, but it is much more hassle to check if it is true or not.

And do not forget to put a little oil on the o-rings to help them to go in :wavin hello:

Last edited:

freezer

Okay, well, turns out, Im just an idiot haha. I was using a smaller attachment so it wasn't holding the boresighter firmly when inserted into the barrel. It the first time I had tried to use the appropriate size attachment, it didn't fit and that was my fault but I gave it another go and it slipped right in and turns out, my elevation adjustment was way off. I had to go down quite a ways (since I ran out of elevation adjusting up) so it's all good now. Thanks guys.
Your not an idiot, you made a mistake and we (sometimes) learn from our mistakes. The way I have it figured there was only one perfect carpenter....And I don't like what happened to him! I make a mistake every day just to be sure I'm safe!

MQ

Bought a Sightmark Laser cartridge for my .308 lever action (tough to boresight a lever by eye). When I put the laser boresight in my gun, the crosshairs were high by about 4" and an inch to the left. I hadn't checked my zero in a while, so figured the scope had been bumped. So I adjusted the X-hairs to the laser dot.

I then went to the range the next day and completely missed the target shooting at a bullseye in the center of the paper. I then fired at a bull I put near the bottom of the paper. Aiming at the bottom, I put a hole in the upper left corner of the paper. Aw-haw. So adjusted the scope to get a group where I wanted. When I got home I put the laser in to see where it pointed. Surprise-It looked the same as when I first put it in the gun, before adjusting the scope. My gun was probably near perfect before I started "fixing" it.
I guess I'll try to return the boresight, as it is useless. Wonder if this one is defective, or they are just highly inaccurate.

Top Bottom