Hawk vs. Duck

arizona jim

Reaction score
Went Javelina hunting this weekend. We were checking out this water hole for tracks & jumped up a dozen or so GW Teal. About a minute later we heard a hawk scream and looked up to see it take a duck right out the air. When the hawk saw us it lost its grip & dropped the duck. The duck bounced and landed a foot from the water. It made it into the pond & wouldn't fly. It just kept looking up in the air. At first we thought it was injured but an hour later we came back by and it jumped and flew away.

I've seen hawks take coots off the water but that was the first time I've ever seen a duck taken out of the air.

feelinducky

Reaction score
I was duck hunting in British Columbia a few years ago and say a hawk smack a mallard in mid air. The mallard got away, but what a cool thing to see.:wow-eyes:

Spec

Reaction score
Was jump shooting years ago and crippled a mallard as it was flying  behind the other birds in the flock I saw a Golden egale nail it in mid air and never miss a beat to a tall oak tree where it sat and ate it !

(Edited by Spec at 2:15 pm on Feb. 22, 2002)

MallardHunter

Suspended Account
Reaction score
While hunting in Washington state, we had a hawk dive and smack a decoy right in front of us.  Flew off with its feet dragging and a bit embarrassed.  At least the decoys looked good.

Jay

Reaction score
When a hawk buzzes your dekes you know they're looking good.

When a hawk sails right over your blind you know you're well hidden.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom