He just had to look back...

songdog

Reaction score
It's been a bit cooler than normal lately around here so I took off for a late afternoon coyote call today.  

Just as I sat down to call, this coyote started trotting off about 100 yards out.  He kept going and going and going as I watched him through the scope.  Then he paused for a half a second to look back over his shoulder before going out of sight... he shouldn't have looked back.  Wasn't a good idea for Lot's wife and wasn't a good idea for this coyote.  He met a 140gr .260 slug at just the wrong time.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Way to go, and laughed at the reference to Lot's wife.

I'm taking my nephew out this weekend to (roughly) your neck of the woods.  You recommend later in the day, rather than earlier because of the cool weather?

Regards,
Paul

songdog

Reaction score
I think that the early am is best for coyotes but the cooler weather will keep them active throughout a better portion of the day.  I was only out in the afternoon because that's what the schedule allowed.

I do think that the single best call is the one at first light.

Good luck when you head up this way!

limit7

Reaction score
nice yote songdog.   Did you keep the pelt?  It looks like a nice one.

Brian S

Reaction score
Hey, Songdogslayer save some for the coyoterama next week. Do you enee meani miny moe your gun safe everytime you go out for dogs, you seam to have a different piece in every pic. The .22 hornet/12 guage being the exception that looks to be your most used dog buster.
Brian

songdog

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jonathan and I have too many coyote guns...

There, I feel better now :wink-yellow:

Yeah, I've shot them with a few different guns.  That's actually one of the great benefits of coyote hunting... shooting just about anything in the gun safe.

My first pick though would have to be a Ruger #1B in .243.  Just love that gun.  For what it's worth, the only time I've ever killed three coyotes on a single stand was with that (single shot) gun.  So don't let anyone tell you that a single shot is a disadvantage :wink-yellow:

Hook

Reaction score
Nice coyote Songdog. I see you are sharpening your skills for the coyote-o-rama. What's the first prize again??? :smile-yellow:

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Nice yote songdog, looking forward to the yote hunt next week.

(Edited by Thonzberry at 10:52 pm on Dec. 18, 2001)

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom