Headed to an island near Kodiak at the end of the month.

FRISCOHNTR

Reaction score
I am headed to a small island outside of Kodiak to hunt black bear and sitka deer at the end of the month it's my first time in Alaska if you have any good advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks

muskeg

Reaction score
OK ... are you going Guided or on a self Guided type hunt?

Good raingear is a must. Hip boots you can walk in (for the Bear) and good leather (goretex) hunting boots for the Deer.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Black bear near Kodiak? Interesting...Middleton Island? I lived on Kodiak and Dutch Harbor from '86-'92. Muskeg is right. Good rain gear is essential. I always swore by Grundens of Sweden. I know of no gortex that holds a candle to it. A heavy needle, dental floss and shoe goo will repair tears well. If you are heading that direction, you just might catch a congregation of thousands of dahl porpoises....I think it's typically after when you'll be there....I recall seeing literally thousands upon thousands schooled up in Sept. in that sector of the North Pacific...it was unreal.

FRISCOHNTR

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it'll be my first guided hunt. It was set up by a friend and I don't know much about anything but we're flying into Kodiak then taking a bush plane. I'll take your advice and get good raingear and hip waders. I hope to have a postive post when the hunt is over.
Jason

riplake

Reaction score

I have hunted SE many times for blacktails. I wear the Danner 200 grain insulated Gore Tex boots
and Helly Hansen Impertech Bibs w/ Cabelas MT050 rainwear camo jacket and then have fleece to layer on top of wicking layer to add warmth. This works well for me, take some Duct tape for repairs to raingear as there are a lot of snags. A good goretex type rain hat is also very helpful. My most recent thought is to take some of those velcro straps to cinch around my ankles for the occasional quick dunk into the ocen or crossing a stream.

My buddy will tell you that my habit of carrying an extra pair of socks and a fire/survival kit saved his hunt once! Have a blast and make sure to carry enough gun.

Top Bottom