Heading to AZ

Rick

Reaction score
for prairie dogs again this weekend. My son and I will go to my friend's house in Apple Valley Thursday night, sleep there and then the 3 of us will head over to Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman. We've been going to this place for 2 or 3 years now. Our other friend used to be a part owner of the Grand Caverns Motel, and his brother is still a part owner. We get a great room rate and have hundreds of thousands of acres to shoot prairie dogs. The cafe will be open, but we will run into Seligman for dinner.

What could be better? Here's a picture from last summer, with my 10-year old son, Michael, about to pop one. That is a friend, John, behind him. Michael is now 11 and has to be all camo'ed up these days.

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Looks like fun, what you guys shooting with?

Working up a 55 gr. V-max load for my .223 with Varget. Still haven't shot thru my chrony.

Would love to p-dog hunt sometime. Good luck!

Rick

Reaction score
I shoot a .223 with 40 or 50 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tips, a .22-250 with 50 gr Ballistic Tips (although I am trying some 55 gr Sierra Blitzking bullets in it, too) and a .243 Tikka with 75 gr V-Max bullets. I am pleased so far with the 40 gr bullets in the .223s. They shoot flatter than I thought they would, and I was shooting way over varmints at 287 yards as I was holding over too much.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Looks like fun Rick. Can I be an adpoted son?

Rick

Reaction score
Sure - you can tag along. There is a group of us(about 10?) going from the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club, which was established in 1948. We stay at the Grand Caverns motel with a special group rate of about $40 a night. Right across the highway is a ranch you can sign in and hunt for free that is about 800,000 acres! It is on old Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman, AZ. You can google them to get the website and contact info for the motel. And yes - there is a huge cavern there!

You've been to our clubhouse and grounds, Jesse, a couple years ago for either our 4th of July or Friends of the NRA - I don't recall which is was when I met you in person.

GregVan

Reaction score
Sure - you can tag along. There is a group of us(about 10?) going from the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club, which was established in 1948. We stay at the Grand Caverns motel with a special group rate of about $40 a night. Right across the highway is a ranch you can sign in and hunt for free that is about 800,000 acres! It is on old Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman, AZ. You can google them to get the website and contact info for the motel. And yes - there is a huge cavern there!

You've been to our clubhouse and grounds, Jesse, a couple years ago for either our 4th of July or Friends of the NRA - I don't recall which is was when I met you in person.
Yeah, sure. Invite strangers but not your blood relatives!. You WERE getting my Colt SAA in my will.

Rick

Reaction score
I've met Jesse so he is not a stranger.... ;)

D@mn bloody relatives! Fly into Kingman and we'll pick you up on the way.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hey Rick, I can't make it but I appreciate the offer. I've always wanted to shoot PDs out there. I need to get a long range shooter set up first too. Right now I've just got the .22 WMR.

Have fun

GregVan

Reaction score
I've met Jesse so he is not a stranger.... ;)

D@mn bloody relatives! Fly into Kingman and we'll pick you up on the way.
Still ain't gettin' the Colt......

BTW, we only have 3 flights a day out of here. None in bad weather (i.e. all winter), or if there's a fire (as of last night, we had 31 going), etc. Then, the airlines ONLY goes to SEATAC.

Besides, the last time you guys wanted to tie me on the hood!

Rick

Reaction score
Jesse - no problem. There were lots of rifles to use. In fact, I never even shot my .223 - my buddy, Frank, used it for about a half hour. I was shooting my .22-250. We had a group of about 15 guys. A couple of them were focused on coyotes. With the Boquillas Ranch being about 800,000 acres (really!), we had lots of room to spread out.

Greg - you weren't going to give me the Colt anyway. ;)

We had a ball. On Friday, it was mostly long shots, as was Saturday morning. On Saturday afternoon, though, we found a little honey hole that gave up about 20-30 prairie dogs at about 100 yards. It was the first time I got to use my new CZ 452 varmint model in .17 HMR, and I loved it. While it did not fling the dogs around much, it was fun to see the hits and it was still decisive. I was using the original Hornady 17 gr bullet load.

My friend's nephew managed to sneak up on one and shoot it at about 10 yards with a .410 single shot. My son got one with a .38 SPL from my Model 19. :smiley-mouse:

It wasn't even that hot most of the time. Fron what I heard, it was hotter here than there.

Rick

Reaction score
It is a B&L Elite 4200, either 6-20 or 6-24 - I don't recall which. John has a long sunshade on it. I have the same scope on my .22-250.

Rick

Reaction score
After Grand Canyon Caverns - closer to Seligman.

Varmit Hunter

Reaction score
My wife, son, and myself read about Ricks venture to Arziona and got excited about shooting prairie dogs so we left last Thursday and went to the Ranch. We had a great time finding and shooting the dogs. We also scared up 2 coyotes and 1 elk, but we were hunting for dogs so we didn't bother the elk or the coyotes. It was the best hunting trip that I have been able to take my son on for a long time. Thanks so much Rick for your willingness to share information with your fellow hunters.

Rick

Reaction score
I take it you stayed at the Caverns? Not fancy, but handy. Did you end up getting the 3-day license or an annual one?

Varmit Hunter

Reaction score
I take it you stayed at the Caverns? Not fancy, but handy. Did you end up getting the 3-day license or an annual one?
I endded up getting 3-day licenses and We stayed at the Caverns. You are right Not fancy or expensive but a nice place to stay. Cleans beds and friendly staff.:JHO rocks::patiotic-wavin-flagWe will be going back soon and getting annual licenses.

Frank X. Morris

Reaction score
Howdy All,
Are there jackrabbits in the area? I'm always interested in finding places to run my coursing dogs on jacks. How high and thick is the brush? Is the ground rocky or hardpack? Thanx in advance.

Rick

Reaction score
I've never seen jack rabbits there, really. A few cottontails. It is a private ranch, and I am not sure how they would feel about coursing dogs since there are cattle, antelope, deer, elk, etc. It may be a month or two, but I'll check their rules next time I'm out there.

Frank X. Morris

Reaction score
Howdy Rick,
Thanx for the info. Dogs are differant. Just like people. Some would chase cattle some won't. But and I'm guessing mine would chase antelope. If game runs my guys would chase it, if it stops my guys stop, except with litte critters like jacks. If you get more info sure would appreciate it. Thanx

Latest Posts

Top Bottom