Heading to Imperial Valley

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
I'm heading out to IV tomorrow morning for a little while. My friend owns a club near Brawley and is putting in new pit blinds for this coming season. We are going to take a look at some blinds on other clubs in the morning to get some measurements, hopefully take a quick trip around Wister, go check out his club, and head home before if starts to feel like hell.
I think I'll bring an egg just to see how long it takes to cook on the asphalt.

If I see anything interesting I'll report it here.

AMMOe

Reaction score
Bring your sunscreen! The last few weekends here have been over 112 degrees. Great groundsquirreling weather but too darned hot for much else! ~AMMOe

SaltonSeadog

Reaction score
It wasn't too bad today. I fished the East Highline, and the hottest reading I got was 100. I was there until about noon.
Caught and released 29 bass.
Didn't spend any time at Wister, just drove through on Davis Rd.

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
and head home before if starts to feel like hell.[/b]

When you arrive in the desert, your already in Hell
Just think it could be worse if it were like 118 and 80% Humidity

WW

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
As Berry stated, it wasn't too bad out there. I didn't have time to tour Wister so no updates on what they've been doing.

I did stop at Union and they have put in new pits. They look are way better than the old one's. They look like they are precast concrete. We measured them to get an idea on how big to make the blinds for my buddy's club.

They are 3" thick concrete with seats bolted to the bottom. The top opening is 5' x 2'. They open up quit a bit inside to a dimension of 7' x 44" with a nice metal shelf at the ends to put your shells and other hunting goodies. I don't know if they will have a top but with a much smaller opening now it will be a lot easier to cover them up. I went to the HQ to see if they had done or planned on doing the same for Hazard but there was a sign on the door saying that "due to understaffing the office is closed". Are the Feds cutting back too?

Anyway, it felt great to be out there. Kind of like coming home after a long vacation.

D Sea

Reaction score
Thanks for the update Matt. Did they put new pits in each of the Union Sites?

mouthcallinmatt1

Reaction score
I looked to be that way. Site 4 had both blinds in and site 2 only had 1 but it looked like they were going to put another one in. I can't see them only replacing the bad ones. Most of those old fiberglass blinds had seen there better days. There was a tractor in the field for sites 1 & 2 getting it prepped to plant. 3 & 4 also looked ready along with the field next to the HQ by the viewing tower. It should look nice this year...let's hope they keep the cattle out!!!!!

D Sea

Reaction score
Thanks for the rep;y Matt. I agree, it makes sence to replace all the pits, not just the really bad ones, but that's what scares me, it makes sense and with the apparent funding/staffing issues who knows what will happen. Definetly a good sign that they are planting the fields, I had heard a rumor that their might be some cutbacks in planting those areas this year.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom