Heard it On Paul Harvey this AM.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I was listening to Paul Harvery this morning. Seems as though the state of South Carolina has taken to useing motion detector camera's to catch folks who dump garbage illegally on empty woodlots and such.

I wasn't sure is Paul was talking about video camera's or still camera's.

Anyway seem's like they have been catching more people doing things that should be done in hotel rooms :love: than dumping garbage and now the ACLU (I think) is challenging the use of these camera's by the state as an invasion of privacy.

Anyone else hear about this?

robNhood

Reaction score
I know that some of the cameras that were being challenged were the ones mounted at the entrance to the Superbowl and some on the streets of certain areas of New York (I think it was New York).

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Found this in the Augusta Chronicle;

SOUTH CAROLINA
Camera will spot illegal dumpers

ANDERSON - A groundhog soon will be looking for people illegally dumping trash in Anderson County.

County officials have a $5,000 video camera that is partly buried in the ground and switches on whenever it senses motion. The objective is to tape illegal dumpers.

The county's litter enforcement division will install the groundhog soon at one of the area's trouble spots.

People convicted of littering face a maximum sentence of 30 days in jail and a $1,025 fine.

``A picture is worth a thousand words,'' said Lt. John Chambers, the head of environmental enforcement. ``When you walk into court with that type of ammunition, what are they going to say?''

The county's environmental enforcement division has logged 76 illegal dumping complaints in the past three months, but that represents only a fraction of the dumping that goes on, Lt. Chambers said.

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
Paul Harvey is an ARA supporter.

Really liked listening to the guy until I found this out.

Possum

Reaction score
Being the Budget Supervisor for a LARGE state agency, I can promise you it is a county gov't doing this.  With the recent budget reduction measures in State Gov't I promise you they don't have the money to buy something like that for $5000.00.  They ought to have applied for federal money to pay for it.  Maybe we could get a grant for building these cameras.  XD

Top Bottom