Hearing protection

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I am looking into buying electronic hearing protection. At my young age I already have hearing damage (construction equip, concerts, shooting) and don't want it to progress. My mom has tinitis and says basically it sucks. I want something that I can use while hunting and still be able to hear my surroundings.
Any recommendations or products to stay away from.

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
I have a pair of Peltor electronic for my indoor work. I would not recomend these for the simple reason that they have a distinticive fuzz sound to them. It's enough to drive you crazy. Maybe I  just got a bad pair, who knows.

Something you may want to look into since you will be hunting with them is the Walker's Game Ear. If I'm not mistaken they also double as hearing protection.

Kernhuntr

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 As far as shooting at the range i suggest useing the foam insert earplugs covered with earmuffs,as far as hunting and ear protection i couldnt tell you.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
As far as range work use hearing protection with the highest decibel rating you can find since there will be shooting all around you.  I have a set of the electronic ear muffs that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago.  They're too heavy and combersome for hunting and when the wind blows (mildly) at the range it sounds like a hurricane in your head.  You can turn the sound off, but then there's no need for the heavy electronic muffs.
My normal hearing is long gone, and like your mon says tinitus SUCKS.  The worst is you hear the constant ringing the loudest when it's quiet and your trying to sleep.  The tone and pitch of the ringing also fluctuates.  So when it would change I would check my beeper.  Luckily, I now have a vibrating beeper. So, what I'm trying to say is you DON'T EVER want to get tinitus.
It's not the best protection, but when I hunt I use the Sonic II ear plugs.  They have a low decibel rating, but I can hear things around me, and it offers some protection.  

grtwythunter

Reaction score
 What's that????? You gotta speak up!!!!!   I'm one of those dummies that always though hearing protection was something everyone else needed, but not me. Now I'm 31 and have a constant ringing that never stops, and drive my wife and everone else that talks to me crazy because I'm always saying WHAT????HUH????
  I protect what I have left with foam plugs topped with a good set of muffs. I also won't let anyone that shoots with me near a gun without the same protection.              Scott

foulshot

Reaction score
<font face="Book Antiqua">what about those custom fit plugs that they pour a mold in your ear?  I was thinking about getting a pair of those.  I don't know cost or db level.  I'll check into that.</font>

henriksson

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of electronic earmuffs from Dillon. I think they were around $140. I had them up at the trap range this Saturday and they work fairly well. I am wearing hearing aids normally and I turned them off but kept them in my ears. I had to fiddle with the earmuffs somewhat to get them to fit well with the shooting glasses on. Once the ear muffs were on right they worked quite well, cutting out all the sharp noises, even when I was racking my shot gun. You hear the echo of the shots a lot louder than the shots themselves. One thing with earmuffs and me is that the butt of the shotgun keeps clonking against the earmuffs. I wouldn't use them for hunting though. I don't hear as well with them as with my hearing aids, and the close-by shots are few and far between.

I also have a pair of earplugs that work really well. They are Bilsom 555 series and I got them from a scientific supplier. They are very soft which helps me a lot since I have sensitive ear canals. They are also very effective, I can barely hear the range commands at the range. On the downside, they are a little difficult to get in and out but once they are in they are the best hearing protection for me.

(Edited by henriksson at 12:11 pm on April 23, 2002)

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Unbeknownst to me Sonia bought me a pair of Proears-Dimension 1 earmuffs for my bday. I returned them for the Dimension 2, they have a input jack for a radio. I've had the opportunity to use them twice while shooting sporting clays.
They are comfortable, they fit well. THe only problem I had with fit was while wearing a watch cap and I can foresee a problem in the fall during waterfowl season when I wear a boonie hat. I didn't have any problems with interference with the stock pn my gun.

I liked the fact that you can turn off the electronics on the shooting line to have maximum protection, then turn the electronics on between stations to be able to talk to and hear the rest of your squad.

I think the real test will be during duck season. Last year at the end of one day I had a pretty nasty headache after a day of 3" and 3 1/2" shells from me and my buddies.

I've also used them working with a tablesaw and chainsaw and liked the noise reduction they offered.

As I use them for different applications I'll give an update.

shufigo

Reaction score
I think i've used them all, an none of them enough!! Best possible combination is an insertable pair, either foam or molded, with muffs. Your best solution is the one you won't be willing to do... that is give up the unprotected sources of noise -- your rock concerts and (unprotected) music.

smokin54

Reaction score
I know I have seen this on here before  but I cant remember where. I am looking for hearing protection were I can hear whats going on around me but save me from further hearing loss if i get to take a shot.

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
"Norton Sonic II" earplugs, Walmart $8.99.  Internal piston closes off when shots fired, but stays open to normal sounds.  

smokin54

Reaction score
Thanks ,This time I wrote it down and put it in my wallet so when i get to wall mart even if I have a case of CRS I will find them.

Top Bottom