Heating with propane heaters and stoves and carbon monoxide

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Joined
Mar 11, 2001
Messages
69,719
Reaction score
550
Dipping temperatures could tempt hunters to heat their tents with portable propane heaters and stoves.

Don't do it, warns the Coalition for Portable Propane Product Safety.

"Using portable propane products inside a tent, RV, camper, vehicle, shelter or other enclosed area can produce deadly carbon monoxide," the group warns.

Portable propane heaters, such as the ones that can be used as heater or a stove, are inexpensive and popular for everything from drift boats to duck blinds.

But heed the warning labels for products that are intended to be used outdoors only.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning produces flu-like symptoms, watery eyes, headaches, dizziness, fatigue and possibly death," the coalition warns on its website at www.propaneproducts.org. "You can't see it and you can't smell it. It's an invisible killer.

"Opening a window or tent flaps does not always remove carbon monoxide, so please use portable propane products outside.

"And never sleep with a portable propane product on inside any enclosure."

One other practice I see a lot is people using a stove in a camper for heat. The open flame is very dangerous. Just last year my Dad was doing this and the curtain caught fire in the camper. Luckily he was able to smother it out in time but it could have been a disaster.

If you have a trailer or camper, buy a smoke and carbon monoxide detector and mount them inside. They are only about $15.00 each and they will save your life, ask any fireman.
 

songdog

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
2,054
Reaction score
0
If you need the heat inside the tent/camper/etc. check out the new catalytic heaters from Coleman.  They run off of propane but are safe for indoor use.  You still need to leave the window/flap cracked to let fresh air in but the heater doesn't give off carbon monoxide.

I picked up one from Cabela's for a little over $50... now if it would just get cold enough.

It generates quite a bit of heat in my travel trailer without having to run the normal furnace which eats batteries for lunch.
 

wyokid

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2001
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
I use the black cat I believe it is made by Coleman. It is indoor safe. Works okay if its not real cold 0 and below. But you can stand by it and get dressed without shivering.
                               Good Luck
 

Speckmisser

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 12, 2001
Messages
12,900
Reaction score
26
I've got one of those Colemans.  

I put it at the tailgate of the truck when I'm camped (I have a shell), and light it up for an hour or so before bed, then light it up when I first wake up.  It heats up the truck like an oven, and can make it downright unbearable, even on the coldest duck hunts.  
 

Latest Posts

Top Bottom