HELLO...HELLO..INFRARED CAMERAS..HELLO

pacemaker

Reaction score
...I would really like to get some opinions on this topic. Ever since I got the pic of a nice 8 point buck with the Game-Vu camera (before I returned it) I am itching to get out another night vision camera. I really like the idea of getting pictures of undisturbed animals.  Not that I'm knocking the flash but..well, I'm knocking the flash. I've noticed that there don't seem to be alot of repeat pictures of the same deer that stay in the area after the flash goes off. Flash trail cams are fine, but the night vision camera has definite advantages. The Trophy View product that is reviewed on this site seems great but $899+ S&H is out of my range right now. I found a cam I like at the following URL  http://webtronics.site.yahoo.net/besnigviscam.html
I would love to be able to incorporate this camera into a trail cam but the outlook seems bleak.  Right now my only option is to set it up behind my house and run 600 ft. of cable and sit up all night looking at a TV screen.(joking..I guess) I'm really itching to get a look at the mysterious B&C buck spotted close by.  So anyway, a little input as to the difficulty I would face in such a project, or maybe some encouragement would be nice.  Maybe someone could at least tell me to shut up, spot wasting forum space, and go away.

Thanks
Pacemaker, NC

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Pacemaker, I was at one time looking at trying to develop a night video camera.  I was going buy a simple $69 black and white video camera on ebay, and hook it up to a DC powered VCR.  The cheap black and white video cameras will pick up the infrared light from a simple IR array.  I believe ther are a number of companies that sell IR flashlights which would work well.  You could always build your own though.  

The only reason I did not build one was because I could not find a cheap DC power VCR that was small.  The only one I found that I wanted to use was a portable VRC with LCD in a bag for about $250.  Add that , the camera, a timer board, housing, etc..   and you caould easily build a video cam for under $400.  I instead decided to skip the IR night vision idea and build a standard video cam since you can get camcorders cheap on ebay.  

pacemaker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Kfen...your link does not work.
Jag...I found a DC powered VCR made by Action(mod.1022) in the $150 range. I really like the night vision concept.  You see them...they don't know !

springdrl

Reaction score
I've often thought the flash might actually encouarge the deer to visit the area in daylight rather than at dark.

coyote

Reaction score
Well first off ...ain nobody here is going to tell you shut up, leave...ect. [some other forums... probably]
If the flash is you concern ...buy a roll of IR sensitive film.  Sony sells a IR light for thier line of vid cams and all that you would need is a second relay tapped into the pir trigger.  The inherent 3-5 sec delay of the owl pf will allow it to power up in time.  It would have better range than the flash as well.
Have you looked into rf wireless security systems.  Lots of farmers have them in the house and monitor calf births in the barn hundreds of yards away....good luck...yoteee'

bmulley

Reaction score
Kfen...nice buck pics...even if it is your buddies camera.  I built my buddies too and if he gets any deer pics, I too will feel like I have a part in those beautiful pics

Newt

Reaction score
Pacemaker, this is the new guy on the block.  Your desire to do flashless solution goes beyond the flash issue.  Developing cost are zero with a digital solution with a unit such as gamevu.  I have also looked into IR camera's like the link you posted.  The problem I am working on is getting the analog output of the IR Camera to digital format such as .jpg and into removeable storage for viewing on a computer.  If anyone has any ideas I need help.  
I know Gamevu uses Intels StrataFlash Chip to store 64 images.  How they do it I am working on that part.  Also, I am working on the date and time stamp portion as well.  Just thought I would let you know you're not alone.
Newt

T

the hairless one

i wouldnt worry about the flash. I just got my camera out and on the second day i had three pictures i thing all in very quick succession. They didnt act alarmed at all. In two of the pics there were two deer in them and it looking like they were eating.

Top Bottom