Hello...

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums here and figured there is no better way to say hi than to show my 2002 spring harvest pic. I took him yesterday morning on the final day of the PA season. Nothing like waiting 'till the last minute! :surprised-purple:

(That is one of the box calls I make under his beard.)

He has a 10 1/4" beard, one 7/8" spur and one 3/4" spur, and weighs 18 lbs. He definitely isn't my biggest to date, but he's a fine bird to me none the less. In fact, since this is the first year I have the means I'm actually having him mounted. :smile-big-blue:

MBullism

Reaction score
Congrats PTC! and welcome aboard... You gonna do a full body mount?  Standing or flying?...

M

P.S.  You make your own box calls?  Any tips you'd care to share?

(Edited by MBullism at 8:08 pm on May 26, 2002)

woodsman

Reaction score
Welcome to JHP  ProTurkeyCaller. Good looking bird congrats!

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum ProTurkeyCaller,

better late than never....hehehe
congrat's on the bird as they all are trophy's to the hunter whom takes him

glad to have you aboard

Later,

Reaction score
M,

Full body mount... His wing tips are so worn from strutting that I think it would be a crime not to do a full strut pose.

Box Calls... I make and sell them actually. Ross Custom Calls is the company name. ("company" = yours truly )

Tips... I don't know what exactly you're after in the way of tips. I can give you a few generic ones though. If you're a beginner then stick with the classic turkey call hardwoods. Cherry, poplar, and walnut are used in some combination or another by just about every call manufacturer out there. You can't go wrong with them if you are looking to make box calls. For the longbox... I stick to cedar lids and use rift-sawn blanks for the body. Neil Cost prefered cedar for his paddle calls, so it is surely good enough for me! LOL Use the proper tools. When I started out all I had was a miter box and a stationary belt sander. My calls were very crude even though they did talk turkey. For the beginner... I'd recommend a table saw, band saw, stationary belt sander & disk sander, miter saw... and a good shop vac or vac system so you aren't breathing in all that dust!

Call design... I find the more rounded the arc is on the under side of the lid the raspier and deeper the call is. The flatter the arc... the higher pitch the call will be. Varying the length of the call also changes tone. Plus, the more wood there is to a call the more mass there is to a call. The more mass there is to a call the louder the call is and the farther it will carry.

I could go on all day, but I won't. If you have any more specific questions just ask. Drop me an email or something.

killinturks

Reaction score
ptc , welcome aboard and congrats on the bird, theres some good folks here

RSB

Reaction score
Congrats on your turkey PTC and welcome to the best forum on the net.

MBullism

Reaction score
PTC-

Thanks for the reply... I've been mulling over making a box call for awhile.  Not to take away someones business, but thought it might be cool to fool a bird with a call that I made.  Red or white cedar?  My buddy made one out of red, and it's the squeakiest, nastiest thing.  Wasn't sure if it was the wood or the workmanship!

M

Reaction score
M,

I use red. But, the "secret" is to make sure that it is very well aged. It should be quite old before you ever use it for a call. The wood will almost be brown instead of the pinkish-red color it is when it's newer.

Also... you could be right. Design could well have played a part in the sound of your friend's call.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Nice picture, congratulations on your PA bird.

It's awesome that you took him with your own box call too.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Welcome aboard ProTurkeyCaller, congratulations on the bird, it looks like we took at least two out of the turkey population in Pennsylvania this year. I haven't heard from any of the other PA regulars on here how they made out at the end of the season. Once again, good job, and welcome.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom