Help a New Guy

flarcher00

Reaction score
I bought the Owl pf camera and the pir ms-20. I just wired them up just to see if it works but when I conect the sensor to the camera it will take a pic and then one after the other. I retraced my wiring but everything seems to be ok.  What the H..LL is wrong?
Glenn

gizz

Reaction score
This could be a long shot but make sure your battery is good. I had this problem once and after replacing the 9V battery the problem went away. I'm now using 12v gel batts but the problem can still occur if the battery gets too low.

d91

Reaction score
When you first turn the sensor on it will 'heat up' or adjust for about 90 seconds during which your camera will fire approximately 6 shots if you have the forced-flash option turned on.  Try using the radio-shack power plugs to attach your camera after the sensor adjusts or install a switch. I suspect this is your problem.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
d91-

What is the "if you have the forced-flash option turned on"?  I didn't know I had it?  When I set out my cam yesterday there was nothing in the window but Number 2, and a small battery icon.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Richard,
The flash can be forced to operate every time a pic is taken.
With the camera ON, press the oblong rubber button to the right of the LCD display until a flash "icon" appears in the LCD display.  The cam will now flash with every pic.

When you turn the cam off, this is reset to the normal mode.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I think either Gizz or D91 are right!

The sensor will stay triggered during a warmup period and, when the batt's get low, the Motion Sensor will toggle off and on....

Me

gizz

Reaction score
Case in point - I made a camera for my Brother in Law and he tried using it 2 weeks ago. Well he set it up and everything seemed fine. When he checked it a week later all the film was used up so he had it developed. 24 pics one after another of nothing. Testing revealed that the PIR light would stay on constantly and further checking revealed a very weak battery. Probably one of the new one's I got  that come with only a trickle charge. I apparantly forgot to charge it!
Funny how I've used these cams a couple dozen times and as soon as someone else borrows or uses one of mine they fail.  

Rooter

Reaction score
I have built my first game cam.  It is the Canon OWL BF without the date feature.  I used the Radio Shack PIR.  I also used the Radio Shack relay.  I mounted this in a military surplus medical kit.  My question is about the hardware though.  I don't have a delay circuit.  I should say this cam will not be mounted near a feeder.  It is more of a trail cam.  From users experience will this setup cause me problems?  What modifications should I make?  This is my first cam and wanted to keep it simple.  Also, I read about using a Polaroid 2400FF.  Anyone used this camera before?

Rooter

Reaction score
I forgot to mention.  I really want to know whether people prefer the Radio Shack sensor over the Regent.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Rooter,A great big welcome to the forums,have a good time,glad you joined us!!

I have both PIR's and like them both,the Regent/Mainstay has more range than the RS model,in fact you will have some pics of your area without deer in them at night because the flash wont reach that far,you have to be picky about where you set it up.(it is cheaper so ill use it from now on)but i like the RS PIR just as well,my first thought when i built the cam useing the RS sensor was i needed more range than 30',not so,that is just right.
 Also i have Tinhorns 2 stage timer on 1 of my cams,like you so far i dont have a cam on a feeder and if it wont be on a feeder i dont see any use for a timer.i get 2 and at most 3 pics of deer as they walk by my cam without a timer,this i think is exceptible,in fact i like it,i know that at least one of them should turn out with the whole deer in the frame.

(Edited by Passthru at 11:40 am on Feb. 6, 2002)

Stever

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
I have 2 cams both rs pirs both without delays. However I am considering my next with either a Joe D or Brian Super Board. Camera one is AF-7s no date and the other is af7-s with date. Both work great. Only problem that I have found is that I have no patience when it comes to waiting for the whole roll to be shot.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I agree with Stever I can't wait for a whole roll to take.
Although I have found 12 exp. rolls of film @ Wal-Mart, this makes it a little easier. I have 3 cams, all are Owl af7-s with date.I use RS sensors. 1 without a timer that I use on trails and 2 with timers for feeders and food plots.Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

Top Bottom