Help choosing a digital Multi-meter?

gizz

Reaction score
I have one of those RS analog multi's that cost about $8.95 at the shack. Can anyone recommend a "decent" digital multi-meter that'll let me measure current/draw a little better? I don't want to spend a paycheck but could use a little better model that is digital. I'm a novice with this stuff and there's a lot out there so I thought some of you might have a model (preferrably Radio Shack cause it's nearby) that works well. I'm interested in measuring DC, current draw, continuity, and resistance - (homebrew cam stuff). Thanks!

(Edited by gizz at 8:11 pm on July 30, 2001)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Gizz,

I've had a Beckman DMM for years and like it. At work we use Fluke DMMs and they are pretty much the standard for field and bench work. The meters I have are in the $150.00 range but they do make lower priced models that will do what you want.

Check ebay there are  8 pages of Fluke DMM there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1620344276

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Howdy Gizz,

Digital meters are all pretty accurate so price and measuring range is what you need to consider (for cam work)

I just looked at my RS catalog (2 yrs old tho) and they have one for $29 that don't mention mearuring current so I guess it don't.

The next highest one does, but it don't say what the current range is.  I think it goes for $40

The current range needs to be 1 ma minimum and less if possible, especially if you ever build one of Archy's Extremely LOW current timers (or mess with the RS PIR's)

Like Jesse says, they can get expensive for the better ones.  I spent a small fortune for my TV shop instruments, but for your cams & general House Hold work, I wouldnt go overboard......

Tinhorn

gizz

Reaction score
Thanks guys for always having good answers. That's the kind of spoon feeding I need. I'll look into them and see what I can come up with. I figured(hoped) that I could get something for around $50 and it sounds like I should be able to.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom