help for rookie

remington870

Reaction score
first all, this is my first post on this thread, but i must say i come here everyday and read what everyone is discussing.  my problem is as follows:  when everything is outside my box it works perfect, led, camera, etc.  when i put everything inside the box the led will come on for the initial warmup and then never again, could it be possible that the motion sensor is blocked and it cant pick up movement.  i am using the radio shack 49-425 and a owl date (not PF.)  it is wired with one 9v and the 2 AA's in the camera.  any other info you need let me know, also the motion board is stuffed in pillow foam that i cut notches in so it sits nice and snug and cant move.  it is also in the 6x6x4 pvc box with little pieces of clear picture frame plastic covering the holes i cut so the camera and motion board can see out.
thanks in advance,
scott

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Welcome aboard remington, If I understand correctly you say you have clear plastic covering your motion sensor? If this is the case I would say this is your problem. All I've ever tried would not work when looking through glass or plastic. Make sure nothing is covering the original lense that came with the sensor. Good luck...

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Welcome, new fella.  If Eagle Eye is on the right track, and it sounds like he is, maybe a picture will help.  Go here for a picture of how I did mine.

The original fresnal lense is siliconed to the front of the box.  Also, I sanded down the front of the sensor's case flat so that when the door is closed, the PIR case is snug against the lense and the distance between the lense and sensor remains unchanged.  

I will not take credit for this idea, unless the originator is not listening...he, he

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Eagle Eye probably has the cure for you,  (almost) NOTHING can go in front of the Fresnel Lens

if that ain't it, how about spacing between the Sensor itself and the Fresnel Lens?  how is the PIR mounted?

Tinhorn

Bowfever

Reaction score
My very first camera I left the RS PIR in the original housing.  I cut a hole in the hobby box and then glued a piece of plastic sheet protecter material in front of the fresnal lens.  This works but plastic, plexiglass or glass will not work.....  I also have a theory but have not been able to prove it yet..  I have never gotten any other pictures other than deer with my first camera....  I just finished a second cam and glued the fresnal lens on the pelican box as described above.  I think that this cam is way more sensitive to movement.  Therefore I think the sheet protector makes the PIR less sensitive.  It will still catch deer movement at 20+ feet.

Bowfever

(Edited by Bowfever at 5:10 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)

Gator

Reaction score
I also used to sheet protector on my cams,  and I have not had any problems.  With my Lamson I can still trip it a 50+ ' which is actually too much.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I put the sensor behind glass on my first camera....it doesn't work.   You must have nothing in front of the fresnal lense.

remington870

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback, should not be a difficult task to fix the unit.  only problem is finding time to get to it before the next day off, might have to sit on the shelf for a few days.
scott

Top Bottom