Help from elec. experts

Lew

Reaction score
Trying something new.  I have a unit that uses a Lamson PIR and Ramsey timer to fire the camera.  Now I want to add a second Ramsey timer to give me a several minute delay between pictures.  I was thinking if there is such a thing as a normally closed relay, then I could run the PIR through that to the two timer.  The one firing the camera and the second to open the relay and prevent a second picture.  Qustion is there such a relay and what do I look for or ask for,  to get what I  need  ??  If you know of a specific normally closed relay that would handle 9v's that would even be better.  Thanks.   Lew

Guy Wire

Reaction score
Yes, there IS such an animal as a Normally Closed.

Relays come in both flavors...no and nc.

Lew

Reaction score
I talked to the people at Mouser Electronic today and they recommended I try relays 653-G6B-2114P-DC5 and DC12.  The Lamson system operates on a 9v battery, therefore I am concerned that the 5v relay may get burned out and the 12v may not get switch with just 9v.  I plan to get them and give them both a try.  I suppose a second option is to use the 5v and use a risistor to bring down the voltage from 9v to 5v, if needed.  Any idea how much resistance would be needed to cut the voltage by that much??  If I get this whole thing to work I will share the information for what it is worth.  Lew

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Lew,

Here's the formula to calculate the resistor value.  You will have to plug in the coil voltage and coil current values based on the relays you bought but I used these values for example.

Batt Volts = 9
Coil Volts = 5
Coil Current = 20ma's which is .020 amps

9v - 5v = 4v (to drop)
4v / .020amps = 200 ohms

Resistor to use is 200 ohms

Tinhorn

Lew

Reaction score
Thanks Tinhorn,  I knew you would have the answer.   I think with that piece of information I get the system working regardless if the relay is unable to use a 9v current.  This has been a fun project and I have learned a lot from you guys.  Lew

Top Bottom