HELP! how do you remove solder?

doda

Reaction score
while modifying my canon owl pf I opps and got some solder on the rewind switch on the board. what is the best way to remove the solder? Thanks in advance.

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Go to RS and get some Solder Braid(or solder wick).  Lay the end of the braid on the solder you want to remove and then lay your soldering iron on top of the braid.  The iron will heat up the solder and the braid will suck it up.

jayber

Reaction score
They sell rolls of braided copper material for removing solder.  You place the material over the solder you want removed, place your iron on top of it to heat it up, and the solder wicks into it.  Works pretty good, but you still have to be careful not to get things too hot.  RS carries it I know.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
That solder wick stuff works ok, but sometimes it gets messy. I always use a solder sucker, they run about $6-10, and are great for removing thru-hole components too. You can get them as RS, or any other electronics store.

jayber

Reaction score
Solder suckers work pretty good, but with the braid I've been able to remove more solder.  Depending on how clean I need it, I'll start with the SS.....then clean-up with the braid.

woodsman

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my second cam I had to heat it up and scrape it off with a razerblade SU## job Solder suckers  I'm told work the best

doda

Reaction score
Thanks guys on the tips. The solder sucker did o.k., but the wick took care of the problem. Camera works fine now. Preparing my box, hope to have this thing in the woods by this week-end.:smile-yellow:

jayber

Reaction score
Hmmmm......I think I've heard that before!?  Glad one of the two worked for ya doda.......look forward to seeing some pics!!

Top Bottom