Help! I am pulling my hair out here

dalliwacker

Reaction score
I have been out of town for a few weeks, and now I am back home.  The bears are waking up and the only thing I have left to do on this camera is to get the timer wired in properly.

Tinhorn has attempted to help me, but my ignorance in electronics is preventing me to figure out the last few steps.  I have looked at the skematics of timers connected to the sensor and cameras, but they do nothing for me.

I hope I can explain this w/o confussion, so here goes.

Initially when I started the homebrew I set the camera up to Jesse's directions.  The setup worked well as the battery was connected to the sensor, the sensor to the camera.  I also had a LED soldered in.  Now that I am trying to connect the timer, I think I have jumped in over my head.

After messages back and forth between myself and Tinhorn, this is how I currently stand.  I unsoldered the NO contact wires to the camera shown in this pic

I then soldered (after changing out the relay to one rated from 9-12V) a wire from contact #1 to the ground contact.

I then soldered in a wire to contacts 2 & 4 (see above pic) and directed it to the push button connections found on the Quality kits timer.  The LED remains soldered to the sensor board as directed by Jesse's instructions.  Should this remain where it is at?  What about the 2 NO contact wires that were intended to be wired to the camera, does anything need to be soldered into these points?

I then have the neg & pos wires from the sensor connected to my 12v battery.  The timer trigger wire is connected to the push-button points on the timer.  The COM & NO connections are wired to the Camera, and I have the 12V connection tapped into the (-) battery and the IN connection tapped into the (+) battery.

So what is it I am doing wrong, besides messing with something I shouldn't be?  My relay on the sensor has 4 pins, I am only using 3, is this correct?  After looking at the relay again, it says 9V on it.  I discared the package it came in several weeks ago, and am quite sure it said 9-12V on the wrapper.  Is there such a thing as a 9-12V relay, or am I just making things up?

The only thing I am getting out of the setup is the normal click when the sensor is connected to the battery and the LED light coming on, but that is it.

I apologize for the lengthy post, and hope I havn't confused anyone.  Your responses are much appreciated, but please if you do respond, remember your talking to an electronics idiot.  Thanks again, Jim

(Edited by dalliwacker at 1:57 am on May 15, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'll let Master Welby or someone else take a stab at a better description on what to do this time, maybe they can make it  clearer than I can.

I know it's sometimes hard to understand my typed explantions.    ;)

But

When you had the MS20 wired to the Camera with out the Timer (and it was working that way), all you had to do was disconnect the 2 wires from the Camera and connect them to the input of the Timer (one to Ground and the other to the Timer Trigger)

You never even had to open the MS20 back up the way I see it.....

Tinhorn

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Tinhorn

First, I want to thank you for your replies, and trying to be understanding of my handicap.  I'm sure your on the other end thinking how much easier can your explanations be, but for me I am still a little baffled.  Second, I guess I was thrown off when you said my wires had to be soldered into the "RELAY" which at that time they weren't.  I will change my setup to how I originally had it and try to tap into the timer.  However, my timer has two connection points for the timer trigger, I am under the impression I should use both points with the wire that was originally connected to the cam.  So I become even more confused when you say I need to connect a wire to the ground.  So, I guess I'll go play with it some more and hopefully come around my barrier.

(Edited by dalliwacker at 10:59 pm on May 15, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
dalliwacker

Regarding the ground we mentioned above, I didn't look up those pix's you posted pertaining to the timer but was trusting my Membrane, I seemed to remember that there was a Ground to trigger connection to start the timer

I guess my membrane was in error.  oops!

what page were those pix's u posted on? do u know? and I'll take another look

Tinhorn

dalliwacker

Reaction score
Good News Tinhorn!

Although I have burned some midnight oil this evening and I have to be at work in 4 hours, I have everything wired and it is operational.

Tomorrow I will finish cutting the holes in my 7mm ammo can housing and do a little RTV work and be all set to take it out to the bear woods this weekend.

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate your help, even if I was still confused (my fault, not yours).

I am looking forward to getting some great pics with the cam and as soon as I do I'll post them here.

Thanks again Tinhorn...........Jim

Top Bottom